Super Contributor

I saw this weird looking orange at Wegmans and bought one. It's like a large tangerine, easy to peel, sweet and juicy. Because it's new, it's pricey--I paid $2.00 for it! Will keep my eye on the price and definitely buy again. If you like oranges and tangerines, you should try it!

Super Contributor

Ooh, are they back in season? Fantastic! I love those things. I discovered them last year. Yes, they are pricey, but for a treat for the very short time they're available, they're so worth it. I'll take them over Honeybells any day.

Frequent Contributor

OMG, I was with a friend in Whole Foods and I waited up front. There was a huge display of Sumo's and a sign saying how great they were. I love oranges, tangerines, not so much. The sign said they were a cross between so decided to give them a try. Bought two of them for just under $4. DELICIOUS. I could have eaten them both at once but decided to hold off and keep the other one for the next day. I have been back to Whole Foods twice since then just to buy Sumo's, buying two each time.

If you like juicy oranges - give them a try - you won't be disappointed.

Gee, I sound like a QVC Host - push push push to buy!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

OPK, they were cheaper at Whole Foods? I thought for sure one would have been $6!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Frequent Contributor
On 1/30/2015 HonnyBrown said:

OPK, they were cheaper at Whole Foods? I thought for sure one would have been $6!

They were $3.99 per pound and each time two of them weighed just under a pound. I've looked for them in other local markets but didn't find them.

My favorite grocery store has a sign "if you don't see something you want, just ask, maybe we can get it". Next time I am in there, may look up the Produce Manager.

Honored Contributor

I have seen those at my market - extremely ugly oranges. I will have to give them a try (don't remember the price).

Honored Contributor

I'll have to see if my store has these. I am a huge fan of winter citrus and it's pretty much the only time I endulge, due to problems with too much acidity. But one thing that I've noticed so far this year is that the winter citrus I've tried has been rather sour. Smiley Sad Haven't had one piece of sweet winter citrus yet.

Honored Contributor
On 1/30/2015 chickenbutt said:

I'll have to see if my store has these. I am a huge fan of winter citrus and it's pretty much the only time I endulge, due to problems with too much acidity. But one thing that I've noticed so far this year is that the winter citrus I've tried has been rather sour. Smiley Sad Haven't had one piece of sweet winter citrus yet.

I purchase oranges at my local market with the leaves still on them. They are expensive but delicious and sweet. I am in the Pacific Northwest not where they are grown.