Contributor

I purchased a vitamix and was excited to make the ice cream as shown on QVC.

My ice cream needed a straw. Epic Fail{#emotions_dlg.sad} To me all the hype is not worthy the price.

If you have a fav. recipe, please share. I really want to see if this machine works.

Esteemed Contributor

Returned my Vitamix but ice cream should have been really easy to do. The only thing that could have gone wrong with the Vitamix is that you have to make a certain amount and then that stupid punching stick has to reach it.

I make ice cream, frozen yogurts and shakes with my regular Ninja, my food processor or my Ninja bullet. Something had to be wrong with the what you threw in. Sounds like you added to much liquid.

Super Contributor

With any of these machines proportions are important so I would measure them and follow the instructions which either the machine is defective or you did not do. Just as measurements /proportions are important in baking, they are in ice cream making as well.

Another factor which may sound strange is that ice temperature is important. Not all ice is the same temperature and if it is too warm, it will turn the ice cream to liquid before completion.

Don't give up on your machine until you achieve success as I really doubt your machine is defective.

Don't feel bad that you may have to experiment a bit but remember to measure.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a Vitamix, but I do know I've had epic failures in my Ninja when I made up my own recipes, esp. when my recipes didn't have similar amounts of ice or liquid to one in the book.

Hope someone can lead you to a good Vitamix result. I have seen in-person demos of this machine and I'd buy one in a NY minute if I had a good place to use it and thought I'd stay away from homemade ice cream!

Honored Contributor

Even the ice cream machines that QVC sells don't make a true ice cream. It's not even as think as Dairy Queen blizzard.

Respected Contributor

How disapointed you must feel after spending so much on the VM an then not being able to produce something that they make look so simple! But remember, they have LOTS of practice at it, so of course it looks easy!

Keep tryng, I have known many folks who HAVE been successful with this- hopefully one will come by and give you some tips..don't get discouraged!

i know, it always seems counter intuitive to me that something that creates so much heat by friction that it can make hot soup, could make something frozen, but I have seen it happen-

Super Contributor
On 1/30/2015 Mothertrucker said:

....Keep tryng, I have known many folks who HAVE been successful with this- hopefully one will come by and give you some tips..don't get discouraged!....

No one has given any tips yet???

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/30/2015 4uthebest said:
On 1/30/2015 Mothertrucker said:

....Keep tryng, I have known many folks who HAVE been successful with this- hopefully one will come by and give you some tips..don't get discouraged!....

No one has given any tips yet???

I did, said it sounds like Mandy might have used to much liquid,

MT

We don't know what recipe she used, if fruits, were frozen, if she used cream, almond milk, low fat, skim, sugar, no sugar or just had that hugh machine on to long and almost made soup.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

What recipe did you use? There are a lot of videos on YouTube for ice cream https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vitamix+ice+cream+recipes or Sorbet https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vitamix+ice+sorbet I don't really care for what they call ice cream with all the ice not really ice cream. I prefer to use some almond milk, frozen fruit & a little yogurt for a thicker type sorbet.

Smile

Honored Contributor

I would guess too much liquid or having it mix for too long.