Super Contributor

Spices to add to make White Bean Chili

Anyone have a favorite recipe... secret ingredient?Smile

Trusted Contributor

Re: Spices to add to make White Bean Chili

I make a White Chicken Chili that I've turned vegetarian. I used to follow a recipe, but it's been so long, and now I just wing it.

But...

Saute two chopped up medium onions with one tablespoon (or more) of chopped garlic with just enough olive oil. (if cooking with chicken I added 2 lbs of ground chicken during this step and omit the olive oil).

Add 4 cups of vegetable (or chicken) stock, 2 small cans of the diced green chilies, one 32 oz can of great northern beans (I don't drain). 2 teaspoons of cumin (sometimes I'll do a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of sage), 2 teaspoons of dried oregano, salt and ground red pepper to taste (for me I do about a teaspoon each).

Then I add the meat substitute (dehydrated TVP or tofu satay). Let it cook at least long enough of the tofu to get to the right consistency.

If it's not thick enough (I like a thicker chili) I add a can of cream of mushroom (or cream of chicken) soup at the end of cooking.

Pretty easy and it can be as quick as 30 minutes start to finish, or you can let it shimmer for hours if your prefer. I've never tried in a crock pot, but I'm sure you can make it work.

Respected Contributor

My recipe has just four ingredients: chicken, great northern beans (white), salsa, cheese and the secret spice . . . . drumroll . . . .

cumin!

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2015 annabella said:

Anyone have a favorite recipe... secret ingredient?

Oregano.

Trusted Contributor

We make this often & love it!

White Chicken Chili

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 sweet onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, crushed, optional (I usually leave this out)

1 (4 oz) can diced green chili peppers (do not drain)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 (14 oz) cans low sodium chicken broth

2 (12.5 oz) cans Kirkland chicken breast, drained (or 3 cups cooked chicken)

3 (15 oz) cans S & W 50% less sodium white beans (rinse and drain beans in sieve)

1 cup grated pepper jack cheese, optional (I leave this out)

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook and stir the onion until tender. Mix in the garlic, green chilies, cumin, and oregano. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes.

2. Mix in the chicken broth, chicken and white beans. Simmer 15 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.

3. Remove the mixture from heat. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted or just sprinkle cheese on top of each serving.

Contributor

Sounds delicious-will give it a try!

Trusted Contributor

If you can buy frozen green chilies that have been roasted and peeled and chopped they are better in my opinion than canned..or buy a couple chilies in the grocery and roast them yourself on the flame of your range top or broiler...sweat them in a bowl for a bit covered peel..take the seeds out and chop...you'll notice a difference in the taste. DW

Super Contributor

My recipe for white chili (besides all the normal ingredients) calls for 2 T. unsweetened cocoa. It's really great.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

Thanks for the great ideas....now off to Costco! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Ocean town....I bought the Kirkland canned chicken breast! Thanks for the suggestion.I am going to use your recipe...and at the end add fresh cut up spinach.... Smiley Happy