Valued Contributor

Ever have a craving for meatloaf? It's one of my favorites...so today made 2 meatloaves.

Now I have all this leftover meatloaf. I guess tomorrow, it's meatloaf sandwich for lunch. Meatloaf for dinner. Next day meatloaf hash for breakfast.....I'll be dreaming of meatloaf.

However, on the bright side....I got the recipe from www.jennycancook.com if you remember Jenny Jones the talk show host....she has some great recipes on her website.

Now that I put the idea of meatloaf in your head. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

Re: Meatloaf! What a topic.....

Now you've made me hungry for meatloaf. I'd put the leftovers in serving size packs and stick them in the freezer. They make great, quick meals/sandwiches.

Trusted Contributor

I love meatloaf! If we go to a restaurant and there is meatloaf on the menu, chances are that is what I'm ordering!
Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting the website. I like meatloaf recipes using oats(that's what I always use). I made the best meatloaf I've ever made the first year I was married. Dh still comments about it. It consisted of several "leftovers" - cut up mac and cheese, vegetable soup and who knows what else...LOL! I was trying to clean out the leftovers and not be wasteful! Wouldn't you know 40 years later - I still haven't been able to duplicate it!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

i love meatloaf but dont make if often anymore......maybe i should make it for dinner soon? some of our grocery stores make delicious small meatloaves (beef or turkey) and i will buy one every once in a while to make sandwiches. they are the perfect size.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I sometimes cook my meatloaf in a muffin tin. Perfect serving size and easy to wrap and freeze

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

This is currently my favorite meat loaf.

Curry Meat Loaf

2 T butter
1-1/2 cups diced onion
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound ground lamb
2 T Madras curry powder
1 T sugar
2 t Kosher salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 slices white bread soaked in 1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 lemon, cut into thin rounds (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in a large pan over med-high heat. Saute onion and apple until onion is just brown. Let cool.

In a large bowl mix beef and lamb together. Add curry powder, sugar, salt, pepper, milk soaked bread and eggs. Mix together. Add the cooled cooked onion and apple. Put in loaf pan and garnish with thinly sliced lemons.

Bake for 1 hour. Let rest a few minutes and carefully drain any fat. Serve with mango chutney.

For mini loaves divide into eight 8-10 ounce ramekins. Place on a sheet pan and cook for 35-40 minutes.

I added soy sauce and catsup to the mango chutney because I thought it was too sweet. Trader Joe's used to carry a tomato chutney I am going to try. Hope you give this a try. It is a nice change from regular meat loaf.

Frequent Contributor

Betteb, what a great idea. I'm going to try this!
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 betteb said:

I sometimes cook my meatloaf in a muffin tin. Perfect serving size and easy to wrap and freezeSmile

betteb this sounds like a good idea, but what happens to the drippings from the meatloaf? do you use a cookie sheet under the muffin tin. i like to use the drippings to make a brown gravy for my meatloaf.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I just fixed a meatloaf the other day. Great comfort food! My father loved it, too. I use to fix them for him after my mother passed. I would portion them out, and vacuum seal them to put in the freezer. They freeze very well. The portions I would freeze would also thaw out fairly fast. You should try freezing a bit of your extra. It will come in handy on a night you don't feel like cooking!