Respected Contributor

It must be getting closer to Lent. I saw my first box of paczkis in the grocery. Any fans here? I used to have a couple but they are too rich for me now.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a fan! Haven't had them since I was a little girl though. My Polish grandmother (Babci) used to make them before lent. She made them with golden raisins and they were the most heavenly donut you can imagine! I would love to have one now with a cup of hot tea while we ride out the blizzard here in New England. ....sigh...... (Thanks for taking me down memory lane!)

Contributor

I had my very first one over the weekend! It was filled with a raspberry jelly and was really good! Looking forward to another.

Super Contributor

I used to eat them when I lived in Chicago. Now I live in North Florida where there are no neighborhood bakeries and no one has ever heard of these Polish delicacies. What I really miss are the kolaches and chruscikis (crullers).

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Easter is early this year. I miss 7 of 9 when she posted here. She had such great Polish food ideas. She gave me her recipe for kolache.

Nothing like a true paczki from Hamtramck. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Most of that stuff is more like a jelly donut. If you've got the real thing up there, enjoy!

Respected Contributor

raspberry is my favorite!

Super Contributor
On 1/26/2015 nunya said:

raspberry is my favorite!

Mine too!!!
Trusted Contributor
On 1/26/2015 gailchap said:

I used to eat them when I lived in Chicago. Now I live in North Florida where there are no neighborhood bakeries and no one has ever heard of these Polish delicacies. What I really miss are the kolaches and chruscikis (crullers).

I grew up outside of Cleveland and we had the best neighborhood bakeries. My Babci used to make the best Kruschiki. So light and delicate! Mmm! It must a good 50 years since I've had these treats, but I still remember the taste and smell like it was yesterday.......just heavenly!

Honored Contributor

If I buy them, I know I won't be able to stop at one. I try really hard to hold out all season, but doggone it if I don't buy some right before they're gone again for the year. The berry flavors are the best, but I won't turn down a lemon, bavarian cream, or cherry either.

Honored Contributor
Does anyone know the date when ash wed is?It should be early.