Not applicable
Needing some opinions about the temptations bakeware. I'm on the fence about purchasing the rectangle bakeware. There are so many reviews about the pieces breaking and or cracking. I was wondering if there was a reason this was happening, oven too hot, dishwasher etc. There are also many positive reviews. Help!!
Honored Contributor
On 1/25/2015 summerlivin said: Needing some opinions about the temptations bakeware. I'm on the fence about purchasing the rectangle bakeware. There are so many reviews about the pieces breaking and or cracking. I was wondering if there was a reason this was happening, oven too hot, dishwasher etc. There are also many positive reviews. Help!!

i have been buying temptations since the beginning and right up until my most recent purchase about a month or so ago. i have been happy with everything and i actually use the pieces, cook in them, bake in them, store food in them. i have not had any problems with the quality of temptations. my only problem was ONCE and that was because a dropped a piece. i will continue to buy them...

buy a piece, try it out and use it a lot during the 30 day period in particular. if you find that it fails you then return it to qvc for a full refund. another hint for those wanting to try pieces. buy when the holiday return period kicks in.......usually mid september. you will have 4 months to use the piece. if it should fail you in some way you have until the end of january to return it.

items bought from temptations website have a 3 year guarantee. if you do have a problem during that time you can send it back and they will ship you a replacement at the cost of 9.95. you may want to check out items they have there and if you have any questions or concerns, talk to anita in customer service.

there are a lot of happy long time customers of temptations. qvc would not keep it around if they didnt believe in the product, their representatives, and new customer sales and REPEAT customer sales.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

For a broader view of this product, I recommend going to the Facebook page for Temp-tations (public page), as well as joining the Facebook private page Temp-tationistas Anonymous. Both have lots of input from actual customers and users of this product.

There is positive and negative posted on both sites. You will get a better idea of just how much breakage is happening, as people post lots of pictures of the dishes actually damaged in the oven, or crazing and cracking over time. You will see some of the terrible paint and glazing that somehow misses quality control. You will also see people post pics of how nice many of their orders are when they arrive.

As for my personal input, I have been buying since day one, and have an order outstanding right now. The Temp-tations line is fun, has lots of colors and patterns to choose from, but can be very frustrating because of inconsistencies in the quality of the stoneware, painting, glazing and policies for return/replacement.

These inconsistencies have been present since day one. Many people will tell you the older stuff was better. It was not. Some older pieces were junk, and many newer pieces are of better quality. The quality is just inconsistent. Period.

It used to be easy to get a piece replaced that arrived damaged or broken from Q. Now you must pack the whole set up, and send it back to Q. Lot of hassle and time, and often the product is gone in your color by the time you can reorder. Temp-tations used to just ship you out that replacement that arrived damaged or defective, no charge, no returns, no questions asked. Now, if you want that, it will cost you $9.95 per piece. And that is crazy to penalize a customer for poor quality or damage beyond their control.

This line is basically low end ceramics made in China. If you are ok with it being somewhat "throw away" quality, not something that will pass down for generations with heavy use, then I'd say, take the plunge and try a set. Sunshine's suggestion is spot on. If you buy during Q's holiday return period, you actually have several months to give it a whirl.

If you are looking for solid, top of the line ceramic products, this isn't it. People keep coming back to this line because it is more affordable than really good stoneware (regardless of where it is made) and there are always so many new products, colors and styles. They can outfit their entire kitchen with bakeware and fun accessories for much less than the very high end lines, and when they decide they like something else, they don't feel bad moving on because they don't have a huge investment in each piece.

Honored Contributor

I am 100% certain this thread was started to cause controversy and angst!!

Honored Contributor
On 1/29/2015 happy housewife said:

I am 100% certain this thread was started to cause controversy and angst!!

You would. Just how much "angst" can you create over bakeware? Well, pretty much I guess, because you usually do.

I love how you can be 100% certain about things you have no hand in or direct knowledge of (OP and their question). Unless perhaps you started this thread?

Valued Contributor

I have never purchased a piece of temptations but was really interested in the 9x13 presented on Wed. It was decorative and would be really cute for Easter. I am on the fence but will really give it some thought. I do have the cute lettuce bowl made by Valarie and enjoy using it for potluck salads. I am alone now and don't need a lot of stuff so I am still debating on the pan. Let me know what you think of it if you have this piece. It was the one with flowers and a colored inside.

Trusted Contributor

I read somewhere that the average total number of pieces sold to the number of pieces reported as broken is really quite small. I think it's just that those few people with breakage stories seem to be so vocal.

I've been happily using my TT for years without any problems. I own many different pieces and patterns. I will say that I do not ever put a cold dish into a hot oven or microwave. The reason for this is many years ago I had a set of stoneware, and I had a piece of lasagna covered with foil on one of the plates in the frig. I took it out of the frig, removed the foil and popped it in the microwave to heat it up. The plate cracked in half midway through heating. Soooo, lesson learned, I don't care what a company tells me about their dishes, I'm not going to do that again with stoneware. Oh, and another time with a piece of pyrex-like casserole dish, I removed it from the oven on one side and one handle, and it broke off in my hand. All I'm saying is that it can happen with other brands and types of dishes, too. Also, I have washed TT in the dishwasher over and over without issue. If I had any complaints about it at all, it would be that it is heavy.

I also would suggest trying one piece first to see if you like it.

I have been buying temptations for a few years.  Beautiful stuff; however all of my 13x9  most used dishes have cracked one has broken into.  none have been abused; oven at 350 deg. some dishwasher and some by hand.   I HAVE QUIT WATCHING HER SHOW BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM. Would like to know what the problem is...... 

Honored Contributor

A reincarnated 2 year old thread.