Respected Contributor

What's cooking for the New Year

Preds01/01/2015 at 2:35 AM23638 PostsRegistered 12/17/2012

Preds, tried to copy your post to start us off - hope I got it.
Respected Contributor

Re: What's cooking for the New Year

Whew, looks like I got Preds pix.

Have the black eyed peas and collards on the stove - cornbread coming later.

Have a great New Year everyone. PLEASE stop by and chat with us.

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 Winifred said:

Whew, looks like I got Preds pix.

Have the black eyed peas and collards on the stove - cornbread coming later.

Have a great New Year everyone. PLEASE stop by and chat with us.

EXACTLY what we are doing! We'll serve it with iced tea (no sugar) and Dixie chow chow!

Regular Contributor

Pork chops in sauerkraut. I'll have some beans, too, nit blah-eyed peas, but legumes.

Respected Contributor

Sooner - my Mother ALWAYS had chow chow. I have never tried to fix it although I THINK I have her yummy recipe. My Dad could eat that stuff all by itself.

Contributor

My family tradition was cabbage on New Year's Day. So, I have cabbage, onions, carrots, potatoes & smoke sausage in the crockpot. That's what I'll be having while watching football.

Happy New Year Everyone, wishing you the best for 2015!

--Jeri

Respected Contributor

It's a Sauerkraut and Kielbasa day at the Gs'. Wouldn't think of starting a new year without sauerkraut.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 Winifred said:

Sooner - my Mother ALWAYS had chow chow. I have never tried to fix it although I THINK I have her yummy recipe. My Dad could eat that stuff all by itself.

I have looked up our favorite brand for you and was HORRIFIED they are changing the label. Is NOTHING sacred these days? You can get hot or mild, and we are mild people when it comes to chow chow. I LOVE that stuff with any kind of beans or peas!

Here's news about the label I have to go fan myself.

http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2014/12/10/renfro-foods-classic-dixieland-chow-chow-gets-new-look/

Trusted Contributor

Here in the South, we always have pork (traditionally it was pork jowls, but many of us nowadays cook ham, chops, or some other form of pork), collard greens, blackeyed peas, and cornbread. I usually serve this with fresh sliced tomatoes, sliced sweet onions, spicy pickled peppers, and a tall glass of cold milk. The collards are supposed to bring lots of "greenbacks" and the blackeyes lots of "coins" in the New Year......so it's a meal promoting prosperity. I'm skillet-searing a center slice of ham for New Year's Dinner, along with the above listed accompaniments. My collards are simmering in the crockpot as I type......out on the porch, because DH doesn't like them and hates the way they smell up the house while cooking. I can't wait for tonight's New Year dinner and will eat a double portion of collards to make up for DH not eating any!

I'm not serving chow-chow this time around; the pickled peppers will do.......but I've eaten chow-chow many times and love it. A sweet/hot mix of pickled chopped cabbage, onions, peppers, and seasonings that is killer on Southern greens! I don't know if you can find it anywhere except in Southern grocery stores.

Whether collards, cabbage, or kraut, it sounds like cruciferous vegetables are the order of the Day, hands down!

Super Contributor

nice share. happy new year to everyone