Trusted Contributor

I never feel like cooking before a big holiday

Cleaning house, buying gifts, baking, and planning for the big meal. I am struggling with monday and tues meal planning. Im getting rubios fish tacos tues, but tonight is ??? Last night was pasta and chicken or I would make that.
Honored Contributor

Re: I never feel like cooking before a big holiday

I do not cook a lot before a holiday either...I have already spent quite a bit on holiday food so we eat out of the fridge or stuff I have preciously prepared and froze for left overs. My husband does not mind and if he is not overly hungry chips and salsa for for him, which works for me!!

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain! I posted about this problem before Thanksgiving. I realized my problem is that I didn't want any leftovers of any kind because I wanted to make sure I had room for the food I would be making- which, BTW , began two days before. I know we had sandwiches one night, but I did make some whole grain bread, and I had some high quality deli chicken, baby spinach ( in lieu of lettuce) and vine ripened tomatoes. Another night, as I recall, was a pasta dish....and I am pretty sure we had pizza one night, but I don't remember. Don't be too hard on yourself-especially if you are solely responsible for getting your house together and preparing the food. I love cooking with unprocessed whole foods, but there are times when it's ok to take the help where you can get it from. So many grocery stores offer honestly foods these days such as rotisserie chicken and side dishes, that is worthy of consideration. Don't stress out, be kind to yourself. Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor

Me either, tonight we had smoked sausages with onions, peppers, celery, and garlic with pasta in marinara sauce. Tomorrow...who knows, maybe leftovers. I need to get the fridge cleared out anyway.

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

I just made a simple meal tonight: pasta and a salad. Tomorrow we are having breakfast for dinner (eggs). Christmas Eve we always have Alaskan King Crab, which is really easy to prepare. My family requested filet mignon for Christmas dinner, and it looks like it's going to be warm enough to throw them on the grill outside. I will be making a few side dishes and dessert, but I got off pretty easy this year {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I totally understand and agree with you. I am worn out and feet feel like I am walking on rocks. I started last week cooking and freezing my side dishes. This weekend baked cakes etc. I had several things to deal with today..... emergency with kitchen faucet. No meal cooked for tonight and tomorrow. Was just informed that I should have cooked a variety of soups last week and put them in the freezer. I love home cooked meals for the holidays but no more stress and body aches for this 60 year old..... next year no one will be invited and we can eat out or just do without. Tomorrow , DH has a doctor appointment but I planned to make my cranberry salad, make the frosting and finish my cakes. Wednesday, I planned to smoke my turkey and ham and go ahead and cook all the side dishes and just reheat everything for Christmas. We have two local restaurants that are always open on Thanksgiving and Christmas and I will be there !
Respected Contributor

Southerner, my heart genuinely goes out to you: I have been through that before. I can lose plumbing in any other part of the house, but when you lose it in the kitchen, it's incapacitating. The Kitchen is truly the heart of the home and without running water.....I too, was a victim of unkind, thoughtless comments from certain people a few years back. As I told the OP, be kind to yourself. Poodlepet2
Trusted Contributor

My husband is working until wed, and when he gets home he is hungry. I do have some pasta fozen but I usually space out repeats hes not one for repeats. Hes ok with going out, (I decided tues to grab to go). Thanks everyone. Least my two young adults arent home for dinner tonight, that always helps when you dont know what to cook.
Honored Contributor

I enjoy baking before the holiday. I just run out of time to make all the things I think of. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Fruit cake, cookies, carrot cake, cheese cake, pies, cakes, etc., etc.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

I hear you....

I was making my yearly white chocolate & peppermint brickle candy & didn't feel like cooking dinner....kitchen was a mess

Hubby offered to make tuna melts, he hardly ever cooks but isn't a bad cook...

it tasted so good to eat someone else's cooking...