Respected Contributor

I'm cooking collards!!! A free meal and some to freeze !!!

A friend gave me 2 heads of collards yesterday. I took them off the stalk, pulled out the stem. Washed them twice, stacked,rolled them up and cut them into thin strips. I had some country ham I cut into pieces and cooked in some water to season them with. They are cooking now. 2 heads of collards really shrink down. I'll put a little sugar to get rid of the bitterness. I'll probably make some cornmeal dumplings to cook in the collard likker. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy YUM YUM !!!

My grandmother use to drink the pot likker. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm cooking collards!!! A free meal and some to freeze !!!

What time is dinner? Sounds yummy to me!

Honored Contributor

I cooked some saturday. I put them in the freezer. I have enough for Christmas and New Year's. I cook with low salt chicken broth, ham flavor packet, season salt and canola oil and sugar. We like corn bread and chow chow relish. I use my crock pot to heat and serve them How do you make the the corn meal dumplings? That sounds delicious. My grandmother would cook collards when we were sick and had us to drink the pot likker.
Esteemed Contributor

yum, barbara! That sounds like a very hearty Southern meal!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I just finished putting the collards in cartons for the freezer. I got 5 (2 cup bowls).

I'm saving some of the pot likker to freeze.

Dumplings

2 cups of yellow plain fine cornmeal

1/2 c plain flour

1 t salt

Mix and add enough warm water until it holds together. Forming the dough with your hands, make a patty shape, a little smaller than the size of your palm. Make all the dumplings, put them in the boiling liquid. Cut the heat down a little, cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

Barbara, set an extra place at the table for me. This souds so good. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Barbarainnc said:

I just finished putting the collards in cartons for the freezer. I got 5 (2 cup bowls).

I'm saving some of the pot likker to freeze.

Dumplings

2 cups of yellow plain fine cornmeal

1/2 c plain flour

1 t salt

Mix and add enough warm water until it holds together. Forming the dough with your hands, make a patty shape, a little smaller than the size of your palm. Make all the dumplings, put them in the boiling liquid. Cut the heat down a little, cover and cook for 30 minutes.

</ This was standard fare for us in the south. The next time you make cormeal dumplings, place them on top of your greens, of course with liquid cooked down and let them steam. They are wonderful this way. It's the way my Grandmother and Mother always fixed them. I will be there for dinner, such a "near and dear to my heart" meal. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

A friend gave me 2 heads of collards yesterday. I took them off the stalk, pulled out the stem. Washed them twice, stacked,rolled them up and cut them into thin strips. I had some country ham I cut into pieces and cooked in some water to season them with. They are cooking now. 2 heads of collards really shrink down. I'll put a little sugar to get rid of the bitterness. I'll probably make some cornmeal dumplings to cook in the collard likker. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy YUM YUM !!!

My grandmother use to drink the pot likker.

Collards are really tough greens, correct? What is "likker" ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Now that is real down home cooking.

Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

My grandmother use to drink the pot likker.

Collards are really tough greens, correct? What is "likker" ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

collards are delicious and cook down lovely...although if you do it right. Likker,aka pot likker" is a southern pronunciation for liquor ...it is the juices that are in the pot and it is so good with cornbread. In fact I could eat collards and cornbread every day they are so good.