Honored Contributor

Unsalted butter for homemade cookies?

Is it best to use unsalted butter even if the recipe doesn't specify unsalted?

Honored Contributor

Re: Unsalted butter for homemade cookies?

Some of my favorite recipes, like Quaker Oats oatmeal cookies, call for an optional 1/4 tsp of salt. I use salted butter for most things and just omit the extra salt. Sarah Moulton used to say on Food Network that salt brings out the flavor on sweet dishes.

Super Contributor

Definitely use salted butter. Cookie recipes need a little salt for flavor.
Honored Contributor

I always use unsalted butter to bake with.

Honored Contributor

I always used unsalted butter and add whatever salt the recipe calls for. Love homemade baked goods.

Honored Contributor

I know this is a personal preference thing, but I always just use SALTED butter. The thing is, IMO anyway, salted butter really doesn't have all that much salt in it anyway. But most baking recipes will want a little bit of salt anyway. I still add salt, if it's in the recipe, and have never ended up with salty baked goods.

The moral of the story is - I don't think there really is a right way and wrong way with this. I don't care for unsalted butter, so I just don't buy it for anything.

Honored Contributor

It only makes a difference in certain recipes. In most recipes (especially your basic dropped cookies) it doesn't.

Most people won't notice.

I make a cranberry butter every Thanksgiving and it needs unsalted butter. I've made it with salted butter and it changes the flavors.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Always unsalted.

Respected Contributor

Unsalted is the preferred butter in baking. Salt in butter acts as a preservative. Generally most all baking recipes will call for unsalted butter and include a specific amount of salt to add to the recipe. Google if you want more details.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/21/2014 chickenbutt said:

I know this is a personal preference thing, but I always just use SALTED butter. The thing is, IMO anyway, salted butter really doesn't have all that much salt in it anyway. But most baking recipes will want a little bit of salt anyway. I still add salt, if it's in the recipe, and have never ended up with salty baked goods.

The moral of the story is - I don't think there really is a right way and wrong way with this. I don't care for unsalted butter, so I just don't buy it for anything.

Me too Chicken! I only buy salted, the unsalted has no flavor for me, no comparison in taste

I hope this holiday season is finding you well!