Respected Contributor

I have to confess, when making a turkey, the liver is the "cook's morsel" and I enjoy cooking them up and having the liver for lunch. I saute it lightly in olive oil, one side, then the other, season with sea salt and pepper, and put a lid over the skillet until the liver is slightly pink in the center. Then I slice it and put it on toast points.

So my question is, have any of you ever seen these sold separately? I plan to ask my poultry people next week if they sell them (because after all those turkey breasts are cut up for selling, those livers go somewhere.) But anyone else here like them? I find them less mushy than chicken livers and they have a mild flavor and great texture.

I'd love to make a whole meal, with mushrooms, but one bitty liver per big bird isn't working for me!

Trusted Contributor

They sell containers of chicken livers in the chicken section.

I have used them to cook for my dogs I don't know about turkey livers though. You could ask the butcher at the store.

Honored Contributor

Pu-leeze!

Respected Contributor
On 12/21/2014 Judaline said:

Pu-leeze!

Yeah, lots of folks hate liver. Yawn.

Super Contributor

I cook them up like you do, but I give them to my dog as a Thanksgiving treat (usually the only time I cook a whole turkey). I agree, they are a tasty little morsel and people use them to make turkey liver pate. I would just ask your butcher, typically they can special order those type of items that aren't big sellers. Also, if you have a specialty meat store in your area, besides your local grocer's butcher, they often carry the more unusual products.

Super Contributor

I just love liver. I used to buy the chicken livers and fry them up until I discovered how unhealthy they are. But...what a delicacy! I used to order foie gras in restaurants until I found out how they made them grow so large...horrible abuse of animals!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

I never bother to fry mine, I use it in the stock pot along with everything else and then I dig it out and salt and pepper it and eat it like that.

Sounds really good to me. I'd be frying it in bacon and onions with a little sage. I've never tried it on a sandwich, but it sounds good.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I just cook up the livers for my cat--she loves them---not a liver girl here at all.

Honored Contributor

Liver, no matter from which species it comes, is not my thing.{#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Respected Contributor
I love liver, but the only time I have had turkey liver was in Gilbert gravy. Here in Florida there are privately owned grocery stores and butcher's that sell them.....that being said, people go gondola over smoked turkey necks. That, my friend, I don't understand....lots of little bones, very little meat- what the draw is, I don't know. I would check with an independently owned butcher. Poodlepet2