Contributor

Total cereal and iron deficiency?

Hey guys! So I have an iron deficiency. My ferritin is at 7. My hemoglobin and hematocrit are normal so I'm not anemic. I really don't want to take a supplement due to the side effects and the metallic taste it usually leaves in your mouth afterwards. I already eat 100% iron a day in food which is good and it's the amount you're supposed to get (18mg) but it's just giving me what I need, it's not enough to make it go up. It's just enough to maintain. So I need a lot more than that. And actually, most iron supplements contain 150-175% iron. Nature's Plus Chewable's, for example, has 150% iron.

So if I'm already getting 100% a day through food, if I get 50% or even 100% more, it will start to go up. People tell me I can't get it up through food but I assume I can if I do this since that's how much is in a supplement. I've heard that some doctors recommend Total cereal for people who have an iron deficiency and even for people who are anemic to correct it. One serving size is 100% iron and half a serving size is 50% iron.

So I'm thinking if I stick with my current diet which is giving me 100% iron and even just have half a serving size of Total cereal it will start going up. The only problem is I have a fear of throwing up and I'm worried if I eat a cereal I don't like, then I might throw it up. I haven't actually tried it yet but some people have said it tastes like cardboard/straw. Is this the case? They're made by General Mills and I love Honey Nut Cheerios and eat them daily which are made by the same company. They have to be better than a metallic taste from iron pills. I was even thinking about eating it plain and carrying them around the house and just eating a few at a time for a snack. Like measure out half a serving size into a baggie and then eat some in between breakfast and lunch and some in between lunch and dinner. Just kind of spread it out like that. Do you think this would work?

For those of you who have tried Total cereal before, what do you think it tastes like? Is it bearable? I'm very sensitive to tastes and smells. Also, if you had an iron deficiency, would you rather eat half a serving size of Total a day or take a supplement that is known to cause side effects? I just want to get some opinions on it so that's a serious question.

Thanks in advance!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Total cereal and iron deficiency?

I think you posted about the same questions in another thread. I'll tell you again, put your big girl panties on, and go see a qualified MD! You can't get medical advice in any public forum like this. You're just asking for more troubles getting any medical advice here!

Contributor

I have seen a qualified MD. I didn't ask about total cereal. This is a kitchen and food section so I don't see any reason why I can't ask about Total cereal here and need to see a doctor to ask about it.
Honored Contributor

No one here is qualified to tell you how a particular cereal will affect your individual health

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I was severely anemic years ago. My doctor ordered me to take ferrous sulfate tablets. I experienced no metallic taste whatsoever while taking these. Cured me of my anemia lickity-split!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I will never understand why people come to this BB to seek medical advice instead of taking the advice of their doctor. MUCH of the so called advice given on this BB is incorrect - based only on someones opinion or some thing read on the internet and not at all based on any science.

Honored Contributor

Seriously?? How about following your doctor's advice, just try it, maybe it will work for you, maybe not, but IMO, it's your best bet. Following anonymous posters' medical advice in NOT in your best interest.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

There are a lot of iron options, not just metalic tasting pills.

All of the people I know who need to supplement iron either take a liquid form or shots.

Cereal? Please. It's not regulated and there is no idea how much you are actually absorbing.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Blondiee, it sounds like something is leaching the iron from your body. You can ask your pharmacist what that means and how to address it.

If that's the case, no cereal, whole food, or supplement will bring your ferritin up.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

The iron in info fortified food is not very absorbable. You are getting much less than the labor says. Also calcium inhibits iron absorbtion. Since you add milk to cereal the iron is practily useless.. I read your earlier post as well and did not reply since, frankly it seems trollish. One cannot live on cereal and frozen waffles and expect to be health. Iron can be raised without taking the iron pills. It is a hard long path and involves eating meat and green leafy vegetables which you are unwilling to do. Since you will not take the iron supplements or see a doctor the remaining option left to you is to live with the low iron. Getting 100% or even 150% of non absorbable iron will not replenish your stores. Even if it were absorbable and taken with vitamin C that level of iron is not enough to bring your iron up that is a maintenance level for someone with healthy iron stores. Best of luck