Respected Contributor

I'm making a pot roast for Christmas. If I wanted to add wine or other spirits, what would you recommend and how much should I add?

Respected Contributor
I would use red wine. Using a crockpot? Probably a cup or so.
Esteemed Contributor

You're braising it. I do that frequently!

Add enough liquid (wine + broth, etc.) so it's an inch or so from the bottom of the pot.

I use a good cabernet wine. I haven't tried "spirits."

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor
What I would do is brown the pot roast really well in a pan and then deglaze the pan with some red wine and allow it to cook for a few minutes to mellow the flavor of the wine.
Super Contributor

I never used to care much for pot roast until I tried a recipe by Tyler Florence on the Food Network. It's easy to make, comes out moist and delicious, and every time I've made it people really enjoyed it. His recipe serves 8 people and calls for a 3 - 4 lb beef chuck roast, but you could adjust it to how many people you're serving. If you are going to add wine, definitely use a full-bodied red. You can't go wrong with a cabernet, a burgundy and I've even used a pinot noir. In Tyler's recipe he doesn't use wine, only uses 1 cup of water, but I like my pot roast with a bit more liquid so I used 1 cup of water and 1 cup of wine. I have never used spirits in my pot roast, but I've seen recipes using brandy and also a combination of brandy and red wine. To find his recipe just search foodnetwork.com and search for "Tyler Florence pot roast". It's called Pot Roast with Vegetables, and he also does an accompanying recipe for Herbed Butter Parsnips that is wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

Holly! A pinot? How much and how did it turn out? Did you add any herbs and spices?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor
<h3 class="post-title" style="color: #b83c32; padding: 0px 0px 4px; font-weight: normal; font-size: 18px; line-height: 1.4em; font-family: Georgia, serif; margin: 0.25em 0px 0px;"> Beef Pot Roast in Red Wine</h3>

1 3 1/2 to 4 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
3 Tbs olive oil
2 ounces Pancetta, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup hearty red wine (I use a medium-priced MERLOT)
2 cups beef broth
(I use College Inn low sodium)
28 ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped (I use tomatoes from the San Marzano region which are sweeter because they are sun-dried.)
1 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 Tbs snipped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley

1. Trim excess fat from meat. In a 4-6 quart Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Remove meat from pan; season with salt and pepper.

2. Pour off most of fat, reserving 2 Tbs of drippings. Add Pancetta, onion and garlic to drippings. Cook and stir about five minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat; let stand for about 1 min. Carefully add the wine. Return to heat; bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 min or until most of liquid evaporates.

3. Return meat to Dutch oven. Add beef broth, tomato, carrot, celery, and parsley. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Uncover and simmer until sauce is desired consistency. (I added some corn starch mixed with a little water here). Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with a parsley sprig, and serve over mashed potatoes or polenta. Delicious!!

Respected Contributor
On 12/20/2014 Lynneuk said: What I would do is brown the pot roast really well in a pan and then deglaze the pan with some red wine and allow it to cook for a few minutes to mellow the flavor of the wine.

Me too! It's the best! I add beef broth, then cook for hours in the oven, uncovered so the sauce reduces. It almost glazes the meat....delish.

Super Contributor
On 12/20/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Holly! A pinot? How much and how did it turn out? Did you add any herbs and spices?

Yes, a pinot! It turned out delicious. I like a pinot noir with red currant and smoky wood flavors. I typically use a cabernet when I make it though, since most of the alcohol cooks away it's really about the flavor it imparts. As I mentioned in my post, I use 1 cup of water and 1 cup of red wine. I have substituted beef broth for the plain water and that turns out good too. I didn't post the recipe and there are lots of other ingredients including herbs and spices. Like I said, I never much cared for pot roast, the ones I had were always on the dry side and bland in flavor. This makes a really juicy and flavorful pot roast, and can be altered to suit individual tastes.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much, everyone, for your succulent suggestions!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}