Esteemed Contributor

A mirepoix is a combination of diced celery, carrots and onions (sometimes called a trinity) and used as a flavor base for soups stews, court boullion, etc.

Trader Joe's carries a 16 ounce container. I go there once every 3 months or so, so I can't buy more than one or two.

I was very happy when I saw a Dole mirepoix at BJ's Wholesale. I bought one for now to see what the quality is like. I'm glad to have found it close by!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Good to know. I buy the one from Trader's a lot and like it, but BJ's is closer for me. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

FDW, same here! The Trader Joe's I go to is 30 miles away. I can only buy two at a time. I go to BJ's every other week.

How do you use your mirepoix?

I put it in a shallow pan, add garlic, broth, wine and a bay leaf and I poach salmon.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know you could buy that. Mine has peppers instead of carrots and I make shrimp creole.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

It's truly not difficult to mince the vegetables to make your own.

Honored Contributor

I just purchase an onion, some carrots, and a rib of celery when I need mirepoix.

Are these already-cut ones frozen or fresh? If frozen, I don't think it would be as nice as using fresh veg. If cut fresh and sold that way (and I KNOW I'm a paranoid freak when it comes to food) I would worry about the cleanliness of the environment/people when they are cut. I've seen far too many recalls for stuff like this that had e-coli and such.

At least if I bring the veg home, clean it myself, wash my own hands, and use a clean knife, I know what I'm getting. Smiley Happy

IIRC it is onion, celery, and bell pepper that's called trinity. I could be wrong, though.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/20/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

It's truly not difficult to mince the vegetables to make your own.

No one said it was.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/20/2014 debc said:

I didn't know you could buy that. Mine has peppers instead of carrots and I make shrimp creole.

Trader Joe's (and now BJ's) are the only two places I see it consistently. Well, this is the first time I saw it at BJ's; I hope it isn't seasonal.

A local organic store has one with bell peppers and garlic. I'm leery about buying that one because of the garlic.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/20/2014 chickenbutt said:

I just purchase an onion, some carrots, and a rib of celery when I need mirepoix.

Are these already-cut ones frozen or fresh? If frozen, I don't think it would be as nice as using fresh veg. If cut fresh and sold that way (and I KNOW I'm a paranoid freak when it comes to food) I would worry about the cleanliness of the environment/people when they are cut. I've seen far too many recalls for stuff like this that had e-coli and such.

At least if I bring the veg home, clean it myself, wash my own hands, and use a clean knife, I know what I'm getting. Smiley Happy

IIRC it is onion, celery, and bell pepper that's called trinity. I could be wrong, though.

chickenb, these are tall, plastic containers in the fresh produce section. I don't think it would work frozen either. I like them for the convenience.

I think the ingredients in a trinity are regional, but always used as a flavor base. I like celery, carrots and bell peppers for salmon salad.

Respected Contributor
On 12/20/2014 HonnyBrown said:

FDW, same here! The Trader Joe's I go to is 30 miles away. I can only buy two at a time. I go to BJ's every other week.

How do you use your mirepoix?

I put it in a shallow pan, add garlic, broth, wine and a bay leaf and I poach salmon.

HonnyBrown - I use it year round. In the cooler months, it is great for soup and stew and in the warm months I add a few things to it and include it in fresh pasta salad. I love it - it is so convenient and tasty! Is it by the produce at BJ's? I will look tomorrow during my BJ run! Thanks again!