Occasional Contributor

The National Warning From The CDC to not eat ANY packaged caramel apples...

I have called CS re. this matter because NC is named as a state where Lysteria has been treated from people eating a Packaged caramel apple. I purchased and have gifted 4 boxes from Mrs. Prindables/ All I was told at CS was"if it were me I would tell them not to eat them" YIKES where is Mrs. Prindables statement or QVC making some comment on this HUGE problem as a giftgiver. I have gifted these to Dr.s, Friends, Relatives etc. Can ANYONE CONFIRM WHAT TO DO? Lysteria poisoning is very serious, and 4 people have died from eating pckgd. caramel apples. 22 tulips

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The National Warning From The CDC to not eat ANY packaged caramel apples...

I don't like any gift foods. It doesn't even sound good to me but I am sure many people like the caramel apples.

Super Contributor

I just received my shipment .. I refrigerated them but we will not be eating them unless I get better info.. Mrs Prindables issued a statement saying theirs are not tainted , that they use only the best ingredients .. Customer service is now saying they are safe, so why am I so reluctant to eat or serve them .. no, if I see that there is not a better answer to this . I will throw them away and insist on a refund.. and the CDC says it could take up to 70 days before symptoms appear ..

Honored Contributor

Until Mrs Prindables issues a statement that verifies a problem within their specific operation, I am not overly concerned. The presenters of this product always states that these apples are not prepared in advance to just sit around; the apples are made at the time the orders are filled, and are shipped immediately. Also, all the apples that have made people sick, have been purchased in grocery stores, so unless Mrs Prindables states they are the makers of those apples, I am not concerned. I absolutely understand Listeria, but until there is a direct link to the product I have purchased, I am not worried, nor concerned.
Respected Contributor

I just spoke with customer service...he said they received notice from corporate office and that Mrs. Prindables are NOT affected.

Honored Contributor

That's not good. I'd avoid giving these as gifts. Though CDC acted out of an "abundance of caution," it just wouldn't look good giving someone a caramel apple at this time. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 RedTop said: Until Mrs Prindables issues a statement that verifies a problem within their specific operation, I am not overly concerned. The presenters of this product always states that these apples are not prepared in advance to just sit around; the apples are made at the time the orders are filled, and are shipped immediately. Also, all the apples that have made people sick, have been purchased in grocery stores, so unless Mrs Prindables states they are the makers of those apples, I am not concerned. I absolutely understand Listeria, but until there is a direct link to the product I have purchased, I am not worried, nor concerned.

THank you. That sounds reasonable.

Respected Contributor

We already gifted ours...................

Trusted Contributor

Without question..............I would be returning immediately AND not paying for shipping!!!
Contributor

The parent company of Mrs. Prindables is Affy Tapple and they do sell in supermarkets. Hopefully those apples are not affected either.