Contributor

Listeria outbreak in commercially prepared caramel apples

http://1.usa.gov/1H1Ths3

I reported this to QVC Customer Service. I just received my Mrs. Prindables order yesterday, and now I have to junk it. CS was very gracious and refunded the cost of the order. The article doesn't specifically mention any brand of caramel apples, but I'm not about to take any chances.

Super Contributor

Re: Listeria outbreak in commercially prepared caramel apples

The report I heard on the way to work mentioned two brands by name. Mrs. Prindibles was not mentioned. But now I am reading and the advice is to not eat ANY pre-packaged caramel apples. I would probably not want to risk it either.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Portia said:

Mrs. Prindables were not affected.

Please state your source, Portia.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Patti143 said:

I heard a news report on NPR on the way into work. But I just went online and read some more, and I have revised my post. The articles I am reading now do say not to eat any brand.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Contributor

I heard a news report on NPR on the way into work. But I just went online and read some more, and I have revised my post. The articles I am reading now do say not to eat any brand.

Thank you, I heard that as well. Just wanted to be sure. Merry Christmas!

Super Contributor

Patti143 -- I found an article that named brands - Carnival and Kitchen Cravings. So, there is this source that names brands, and numerous other articles that say don't eat any of them.

http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2014/dont-eat-prepackaged-caramel-apples-health-officials-warn-aft...

Contributor

Patti143 -- I found an article that named brands - Carnival and Kitchen Cravings. So, there is this source that names brands, and numerous other articles that say don't eat any of them.

http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2014/dont-eat-prepackaged-caramel-apples-health-officials-warn-aft...

Thanks, Portia. I'm going with the statement released by the CDC, in which they advise US consumers not eat ANY commercially prepared caramel apples. They still don't know how the Listeria is getting into the product, so until they do, all brands are suspect.

Regular Contributor
Super Contributor

i'll take my chances. YUM.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Portia. I'm going with the statement released by the CDC, in which they advise US consumers not eat ANY commercially prepared caramel apples. They still don't know how the Listeria is getting into the product, so until they do, all brands are suspect.

Patti, I absolutely agree with you. I would not want to take the chance. I mostly wanted to find a reference for the first thing I heard, because the next reports were so different. This is nothing to mess with.