Trusted Contributor

Need advice on size of roaster oven

What would be the best size roaster oven to make Texas Trash (some call it Chex Mix) in? I don't like cooking it in the "regular" oven, and prefer a roaster oven (not slow cooker). But I'm not familiar with them and would like some opinions on what size to get. My mom has the 18 qt roaster oven and when I'm there, I use hers to make the mix, but it's pretty big and I'm thinking I could get away with a smaller one. I live alone, so I won't be using it much except for the trash mix, but don't mind spending the money since I make that particular snack a lot for me and for my daughter's family.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on size of roaster oven

I'd probably just stick to the 18 qt. For one thing, that size seems to be the most popular which is what keeps the price down, I think. I saw one at Costco not too long ago for around 38 dollars. It will also give you a bigger footprint which makes cooking the mix in a shallow layer much easier.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Thanks jaxs mom for the recommendation!

Esteemed Contributor

This made me laugh because I am making Texas Trash for Christmas Day, but it is more of a bean, ground beef & cheese dip. Anyway, I have the 18 qt Nesco with the fan & would be great for your mix.

Honored Contributor

There is one with a fan? I didn't know that.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 jaxs mom said:

There is one with a fan? I didn't know that.

Yes the Nesco's all used to have the roast air fan. They were all on the middle of one end of the lid. The only ones they have on their site with the fan is the 12 qt & the fan is on the top middle side of the lid which gets in the way while cooking certain foods like turkey or ham. I have the 6 qt & 12 qt Nesco with fans. I also bought a 6 qt lid only with fan on EBay so I would have an extra fan. I don't understand why Nesco changed the design on the lid/fan & why they discontinued the Nesco's they used to have with the roast air fan like Q used to sell. They work the best. I use the fan a lot when I use mine. Mine are like the top 3 pics you can see the fans are on the end of the lid & the last pic you can see the fan in the middile of the lid behind the handle. My dad did not like it like that.

Honored Contributor

A 12 qt would work but you will pay more money for it. The larger ones are readily available at a lower price with all different brand names.

Valued Contributor

I have a 6 quart I love and use for other things. I often freeze small casseroles for the two of us and I place the dish in the 6 quart and let it heat up. I also use for large batches of chilis, pot roast, roasting chicken for company. It doesn't take up much space and can be used for many things instead of using your large oven for one person.