Honored Contributor

Help please... I've entered a Chocolate Cook-Off.

Our local Senior Center is sponsoring a Chocolate Cook-Off in January.

There are several categories. I thought I'd try the non-dessert category.

I need something tried and true.

Does anyone have a recipe that uses chocolate and is NOT a dessert?

Thank you so much Smile

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

Re: Help please... I've entered a Chocolate Cook-Off.

Dip potato chips in melted chocolate!

Honored Contributor

White and Dark Chocolate Dipped Pretzels, you can jazzy them up with crushed peppermints and sprinkles etc

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

A month or so ago, I saw a chef prepare chocolate fried chicken. It was a Home show on Hallmark channel. Google it. The hosts/guests raved about it. Sweet and savory......

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Honored Contributor

On 12/17/2014 Lucky charm said:

A month or so ago, I saw a chef prepare chocolate fried chicken. It was a Home show on Hallmark channel. Google it. The hosts/guests raved about it. Sweet and savory......

I'll look for it. I don't care much for chocolate, so just the thought of that turns my stomach, but not everyone feels that way. I know there will be dozens of dessert entries, so I wanted something different. This sure sounds different!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I have never made it, but what about a mole sauce? I know there is a region of Mexico that uses chocolate in savory dishes. If this is a cook off, I would think originality would be important..... what about experimenting with using cocoa and a spot of coffee to intensify a beef dish? Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor

On 12/17/2014 house_cat said:
On 12/17/2014 Lucky charm said:

I'll look for it. I don't care much for chocolate, so just the thought of that turns my stomach, but not everyone feels that way. I know there will be dozens of dessert entries, so I wanted something different. This sure sounds different!

I'm a vegetarian, so the thought of it turns my stomach, too!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/17/2014 Poodlepet2 said: I have never made it, but what about a mole sauce? I know there is a region of Mexico that uses chocolate in savory dishes. If this is a cook off, I would think originality would be important..... what about experimenting with using cocoa and a spot of coffee to intensify a beef dish? Poodlepet2

My first thought was mole sauce, too, but I've never made it either. I know it has a lot of different spices in it as well for a very complex flavor. Not sweet at all and very good!

Trusted Contributor

Paula Deen has a chocolate chili recipe. It just has 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder in it, but it sounds really good. I've never actually made it, but now you've got my wheels turning...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chocolate-chili-recipe.html

Respected Contributor

Vamp, I just did a search using "savory chocolate recipes", and chilli seems to top the list. I just saw a phenomenal recipe in The Farmers Almanac. House Cat, I know there is a restaurant in the Hershey Park that features savory food with chocolate, and they had a cook book. Perhaps you could check at your library, and if they don't have it, get it on interlibrary loan. Poodlepet2