Contributor

Which Stand Mixer should I Buy?

I'm looking to buy a stand mixer to buy; however, there are so many out there to choose from. I know that KA is the one that everyone suggests; however, I have read comments that grease can spill into food. I have looked into the Artisan and find that it's beautiful, but the grease thing bothers me. Has anyone had this problem? I'm just starting to bake, but I would like to eventually branch out into making other things like bread, biscotti, and maybe pasta. At the moment, I'm baking simple things like chocolate chip and sugar cookies for the Christmas holiday. I do like the idea that the KA has the attachments. A sales person at WS recommended to go with the KA because of the attachments. Also, if anyone has seen the red and gloss cinnamon KA, can you please describe the difference? It's hard to tell on a monitor and I've only seen the red in stores.

All advice, recommendations, and experience are welcome.

Thanks.

Anna

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Stand Mixer should I Buy?

I'd recommend the KitchenAid. Get the best version with the most power that fits into your budget. Some people like the tilt style and some like the bowl lift style. Do your homework and compare features, power, etc. I can tell you, you shouldn't have to pay full price ever. I was amazed at the great deal I got at Kohls on my latest KA a couple of years ago. It pays to watch for sales, go through Ebates (or similar site), apply a coupon code and or any Kohl's cash, etc. You can get a better appliance for less money than you often see on the Q. I doubt the grease dropping thing is a very big deal. It hasn't happened to me and I've had a KA for over 25 yrs. The only thing that came close was when I was mixing dough for cinnamon rolls many years ago and the dough crawled up the dough hook and kind of overtook it (ever see the movie The Blob? LOL). The dough got to where the hook gets attached and did pick up some grease so I had to pull off that part of the dough. It was totally user error. I was making cinnamon rolls and had to make several dozen for something at school so I attempted to make a double batch of dough, hoping to make things go faster and that's what happened.

Occasional Contributor

I bought my KitchenAid well over 10 years ago. I love it because the motor is strong. And continues to be strong. I'm a simple baker, but I use mine for egg whites, whipped cream, cookie dough, cake batter and bread dough. I don't have accessories. I would buy a KitchenAid again. No question. There is one thing about the design that I do not like, though. And I haven't looked at the current models, so I don't know if they fixed this. But when my mixer is operating there is no room to pour in additional ingredients. I must stop the mixer and raise the hook/whisk. No other negatives.

Esteemed Contributor

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/pages/popup/kitchenaid-mixer-chart.html

I usually buy from Williams Sonoma or Amazon. Above is a comparison chart of popular KA mixers. QVC sells a model I like K301212. I would look for this product online.

Valued Contributor

I bake a lot and would not recommend the KitchenAid myself. I have a Hamilton Beach that I inherited from my grandmother. The bowl swivels over so you never have to stop the mixer to scrape the sides. I bought one for my daughter in law also. My husband asks me all of the time if I want a Kitchen Aid and I tell him not until they make one with the swivel bowl.

Respected Contributor

I am what I call myself a "basic" baker and I love my KA! I have the lift style and have no negative issues with it, never had an issue with the oil. This is my second KA, as we "gifted" our original one to our DS a couple of years ago.

I have the glossed cinnamon and I would describe the color as a deep burgundy. I don't have anything red in KA, so really can't give you a comparison.

Good luck in your decision .... as others have mentioned, do some research.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a kitchen appliance aficiando by any means, but everyone I know who considers themselves to be home cook experts swear by the KitchenAid stand mixer.

Honored Contributor

When I inherited my KA I had the issue with the grease - here is how it was explained to me by the repairman. KA mixers are not electronic - they are mechanical. The head of the mixer is a system of steel gears and those gears MUST be kept greased or they would wear out. However, should you not use the mixer over a long period of time - the grease will separate and can drip out - the way to avoid it is to use it as much as possible. If you don't need to use it - turn it on for about 5 min at least once a week to keep that grease mixed up in there. I have taken his advice and I use my mixer a few times a week and the grease issue has not returned. Since the grease that was in there when I inherited mine was about 50 years old the repairman did clean that out - replaced a few gears that were somewhat worn out and put new grease in. Mine does sit unused all summer long while we go to Pa. but that hasn't been a problem.

I certainly would not buy an expensive item like a mixer by what it looks like on my counter - they are a mechanical tool and intended to be used - in the case of KA - they are made to be heavily used.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with the KA, at the strongest power possible, especially if you'll be doing lots of baking/cooking that requires it. I also agree with the not having to pay full price ever. I just saw the Artisan (since OP mentioned interest in that particular model) over the weekend at BB&B at $212 after mail-in rebate, and if you had a 20% coupon, that would bring you to about $170 before taxes. This model was being offered with the traditional stainless steel bowl mixer and also in the glass bowl configuration with the flex edge beater, in either package.

I've had my Pro bowl lift 6 qt mixer for about 13-14 years, and I use it A LOT, for various things, and prior to that I had a cheapie little Hamilton Beach model with a glass bowl, where the base spun instead of the beater/spindle. It was fine for mixing simple and thin batters, but could never do the heavy duty mixing that is required when making breads, and things like that. The KA mixer I own is one of the best investments I've made, but I use it quite often.

I'd say, if you are going to be doing a lot of baking (especially), I'd highly recommend it. If not, get something that has enough power, but isn't going to be just a waste of space on your counter.

Respected Contributor

KitchenAid....no question. I rarely cook but constantly look for reasons to use it. I love mine so much . The only way I could love it more is if it were pale pink or the pistachio color instead of white...lol.