Super Contributor

Paging all from the UK for a Sausage Roll Recipe

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Hello and hope that someone here can give me a recipe that they've used for Sausage Rolls. I have read so much about them being a custom during the Christmas Season in the UK and I finally tried some in an English Pub in the states that was owned and operated by a couple from England. These sausage rolls were so good and I'd never had anything quite like them. It certainly wasn't like our "pigs in a blanket" sort of thing at all.

I think in another life I must have lived in England as it has always been my heart's desire to go there someday. I read a lot of novels that are set in the UK and have also seen the mention of Sausage Rolls in some of those books.

I did Google for recipes but there were so many that I was hoping someone here might have one they could share.

Thank you so much for any recipes you can give me

Best Wishes

Vicki

Trusted Contributor

Re: Paging all from the UK for a Sausage Roll Recipe

It's your lucky day Vicki,lol. I am British and I've made hundreds, probably thousands of sausage rolls in my lifetime. The good news is that they are very easy to make. Get a pack of Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets in the freezer dept and a roll of Jimmie Dean sage sausage. Let the pastry sheet defrost, you only need one sheet so keep the other frozen for another time. Open out the sheet and cut along the creases so you have three strips of about 10x4 inches. Roll each strip so it is a little longer and wider. I do it on a sheet of parchment so it doesn't stick and is easy to clean up. Cut the roll of sausage into three equal sections and use one to make a thin sausage shape down the centre of the pastry. Fold one edge of pastry over, wet the edge and fold other side over to make one long sausage roll. Cut in half then cut each half into three and place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with rest of pastry and sausage til you have 18 small sausage rolls. Make an egg wash with a beaten egg and a bit if water and brush each roll. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes til golden brown. Serve warm. Let me know what you think if you make them. I often take them to parties here and everyone loves them.
Esteemed Contributor

You use the sausage uncooked to put inside the pastry? They sound really good!

Trusted Contributor

Yes Zhills, the high heat cooks it easily. They are very addictive so beware,lol,
Contributor

Vicki - you started me thinking of the sausage rolls my Grandmother would make every Christmas. She moved to Canada around the WWI from England. I always remember when she would visit us in AZ in the 1960's and she always made a point of making them and they were different from anything I have had in the U.S. After my mother (her daughter) passed away about 6 years ago I got all the recipes from both of them. I think I will go thru them and see if that was one that did get written down. Well off to check for the sausage roll recipe. Happy cooking :-)

Super Contributor

On 12/15/2014 Lynneuk said: It's your lucky day Vicki,lol. I am British and I've made hundreds, probably thousands of sausage rolls in my lifetime. The good news is that they are very easy to make. Get a pack of Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets in the freezer dept and a roll of Jimmie Dean sage sausage. Let the pastry sheet defrost, you only need one sheet so keep the other frozen for another time. Open out the sheet and cut along the creases so you have three strips of about 10x4 inches. Roll each strip so it is a little longer and wider. I do it on a sheet of parchment so it doesn't stick and is easy to clean up. Cut the roll of sausage into three equal sections and use one to make a thin sausage shape down the centre of the pastry. Fold one edge of pastry over, wet the edge and fold other side over to make one long sausage roll. Cut in half then cut each half into three and place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with rest of pastry and sausage til you have 18 small sausage rolls. Make an egg wash with a beaten egg and a bit if water and brush each roll. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes til golden brown. Serve warm. Let me know what you think if you make them. I often take them to parties here and everyone loves them.

Lynneuk thank you so much for this recipe. It is my lucky day!!! I am so happy you saw this. I actually have all of the ingredients on hand so this will be a new addition to our Christmas Eve snacks that we have every year. I am so happy I could jump over the moon, lol.

AZDiamondback Mom I am so glad this brought back good memories for you. This is why I love this forum so much. First, all here are very nice and second, if you post a question you will always get an answer.

Best Wishes To All

VickiSmile

Respected Contributor

These sound delicious! I was looking for something new to try for an appetizer as I'd decided not to make my sweet and sour meatballs this year. These should be great.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Super Contributor

On 12/16/2014 vickisok said:
On 12/15/2014 Lynneuk said: It's your lucky day Vicki,lol. I am British and I've made hundreds, probably thousands of sausage rolls in my lifetime. The good news is that they are very easy to make. Get a pack of Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets in the freezer dept and a roll of Jimmie Dean sage sausage. Let the pastry sheet defrost, you only need one sheet so keep the other frozen for another time. Open out the sheet and cut along the creases so you have three strips of about 10x4 inches. Roll each strip so it is a little longer and wider. I do it on a sheet of parchment so it doesn't stick and is easy to clean up. Cut the roll of sausage into three equal sections and use one to make a thin sausage shape down the centre of the pastry. Fold one edge of pastry over, wet the edge and fold other side over to make one long sausage roll. Cut in half then cut each half into three and place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with rest of pastry and sausage til you have 18 small sausage rolls. Make an egg wash with a beaten egg and a bit if water and brush each roll. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes til golden brown. Serve warm. Let me know what you think if you make them. I often take them to parties here and everyone loves them.

Lynneuk thank you so much for this recipe. It is my lucky day!!! I am so happy you saw this. I actually have all of the ingredients on hand so this will be a new addition to our Christmas Eve snacks that we have every year. I am so happy I could jump over the moon, lol.

AZDiamondback Mom I am so glad this brought back good memories for you. This is why I love this forum so much. First, all here are very nice and second, if you post a question you will always get an answer.

Best Wishes To All

VickiSmile

Lynneuk, There is nothing quite like a good British sausage roll with some spicy mustard. I am also English and your recipe is how my mother made hers. The Pepperidge Farm puff pastry works well and makes a nice flaky roll. However, in my opinion, it's not a true sausage roll unless you use British sausage. I like Jimmy Dean sausage, but it just isn't the same. When I was growing up in America we were lucky to have a British import shop where my mom could get proper bangers and chipolatas and meat pies. These days there are many companies online that sell real English and Irish meat products. I love back bacon, the bacon we have here doesn't even compare. I always think of my aunt when I think of bangers. My mom's older sister worked in an English sausage plant. She worked there many years and had so many funny stories to tell. She worked on one of the lines making bangers and she said that place was like a sterile laboratory. They had extremely strict health and inspection requirements. She said if one person broke protocol, even though the batch was probably not contaminated, the entire thing was disposed of. They weren't allowed to wear any jewelry in case something would fall off, and of course they wore gloves, but if someone forgot to take off their wedding ring, the whole batch was not used. She used to laugh and say she was basically like an Oompa-Loompa making bangers. So sausage rolls hold a dear place in my heart. Smile

Vickisok, While Jimmy Dean sausage will make a perfectly acceptable sausage roll, you might want to try googling butchers that sell authentic bangers. I found one called balsonbutchers.com and apparently they sell their products in some Costco stores in the east and midwest states. They got rave testimonials, and according to their map they do sell in Michigan so you might want to check them out. My mom would use either banger sausages or chipolatas, which are basically like our American breakfast sausages, smaller and thinner than bangers. She would take the sausage out of the casings and then make her sausage rolls pretty much like Lynneuk's recipe. They sure are delicious and be sure to make lots because they don't last long. Oh, as a side note, they freeze well for an easy meal or snack. Just bake them, let them cool, then wrap them for the freezer. To warm them up just let them defrost, then cover them with tinfoil and bake them at a lower temperature until they are heated through. In a sausage emergency you could also heat them up in the microwave. You're making me crave them now, I'll have to make some over the holidays. Happy cooking!

Trusted Contributor

Hello fellow Brit! So nice to meet you! I agree about the English sausage but it is hard to find and VERY expensive so I've given up and use the sage sausage I can find easily. Over the holidays everyone asks me to bring sausage rolls everywhere I go so it's easier to use the Jimmie Dean or I'd be in the poor house,lol.
Super Contributor

Holly Jolly Jingle Bells, thank you so much for your input. Loved reading your post about your Aunt working in the sausage plant.

Hope you have a blessed, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}