Respected Contributor

paging Zhills: regarding your Old Timy Butter Roll Dessert

Hi Zhills! I copied your recipe and while we are enjoying a spurt of cool weather, I thought this would be a great dessert to make. Other than attempts to make pie crust, I really don't have experience with shortening in a dough. My question is, should I chill the shortening before cutting it into the flour? Am I looking for people sized particles before adding the milk? I am so looking forward to making thisSmiley Happy Thanks Poodlepet2
Respected Contributor

Re: paging Zhills: regarding your Old Timy Butter Roll Dessert

I would chill it too as cold makes for a better pastry.

Respected Contributor

Hi Tigriss! You are probably right, but what is throwing me off is the amount of liquid-in the form of 1/2 cup of milk added to 2 cups self rising flour to which 1/2 cup shortening has been added. You are then supposed to "stir" in the half cup of milk.....I'm not a great biscuit maker either: that is truly an art that takes experience.... if I was making biscuits, I would have a better idea...you have to be able to roll it out, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar, then roll it up jelly roll style From there, I will most certainly chill it before cutting it. I am trying to wrap my head around the batter. Thanks for your input. Poodlepet2.
Esteemed Contributor

I believe Tigriss is correct. If the dough was too soft, you could always chill it just a few minutes. If you cut it in with a folk it would be me, not as fine as grits. Biscuits usually have larger pieces for texture; not like pie crust. I haven't made the rolls because it makes a pan full and there is just 2 of us. Let me know how they turn out.

Respected Contributor

You stir it in until just combined or with your hands until just together, then lightly flour the counter and turn the dough out onto it. Roll out until you get a large rectangle. I wouldn't chill to cut but use dental floss or a thin knife to slice it and put into the pan. Below is the original type recipe, but the second one from Southern Plate uses crescent rolls and is a great alternative to making the dough if you are in a hurry or don't want to deal with dough.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmothers-old-fashioned-butter-roll/

http://www.southernplate.com/2013/05/shortcut-butter-roll-dessert.html

Respected Contributor

Frequent Contributor

Yep, I made the shortcut version and it was pretty good! The southern plate site actually has both versions and easy to follow with step by step pics.

Respected Contributor

Well, in Southern vernacular, a big ole Thanks y'all! Our cold front is slipping away, and even though it's going to be in the low 40's tonight, it doesn't feel so cold because we don't have any wind blowing.....Zhills, it's going to be just the two of us as well, but I just have to make this....I'm sure the unbeaten portion could be thrown into the freezer, brought back to defrost in the fridge, then reheated.......oh sigh....I don't know where to go with this one Z, but when you mentioned "it's only us two", it just brought up feelings about becoming/ being an empty nester..my husband is so easy going with leftovers, and I live with chronic pain, so I am happy when I can do re-heats......but that can get old....and I hate the idea that I won't be making some things because of the same reason you gave: "it's just the two of us " Maybe, we and other posters , can re-dact recipes for. two......just an idea.... Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

There are lots of wonderful sounding on her that I overlook because of the amount it makes. Sometimes you can half or even fourth, but some of them call for items that you would use 1/2-1/2 can and be left with half a can and it is just not reasonable for us. How did you get to Punta Gorda? My cousin is an atty in Punta Gorda and I have company coming in tomorrow from Little Gasparilla. Beautiful area! Sorry you are in pain. I can't imagine what it is like but know many who are. Take care.

Respected Contributor

Hi Zhills! So, you will be entertaining a bunch of pirates matey? Smiley Happy Hispaniola is famous for its pirates and there are all kinds of festivals celebrating them. Punta Gorda is a small town: there's a good chance we know your cousin-that's how small it is. We actually wanted to be on the east coast of Florida, but at the time e were looking, prices were unbelievable. They were elevated on the West coast as well, but you got more bang for your buck here. Punta Gorda was absolutely charming.....and so we moved there three weeks before Hurricane Charlie hit. We have recovered but nobody who was living there will ever forget it.....This past May, we bought a weekend getaway on the north end of Pine Island. It's only 45 minutes away from Punta Goes a, but it's a world apart. This is where we want to retire to: there are measures here to preserve nature, so we will never be dealing with high rise condos or strip malls. The most noise we hear comes from Osprey or seagulls.....or the lapping of waves against the sea wall. It's our little piece of heaven. During the summer, it's a wonderful place to be because we get these awesome breezes off of Charlotte Harbor. This is our first winter here though, and those breezes-particularly when they come from the north- can make it down right cold. We have never used a heater in Florida the way we use it here! On the other hand, I kind of like it because it gives me a chance to make the hearty soups we enjoy. My DH can eat hot soup when it's 98 degrees- not me. On Saturday, I made a pot of 15 bean chicken soup and a loaf of Gloriajean's Health Bread (minus the raisins) and we have been merrily eating away. When there's a chill in the air, I can live off of soup. Tonight is the first night of Chanukah, so this afternoon I will fry up some latkes to go with the last of the soup. Well, I should get a move on, but enjoy your company. Poodlepet2