Honored Contributor

Do you do this in a plastic bag or have you ever crushed them in a Vitamix? I need crushed pieces for a cookie recipe (or two).

Honored Contributor

I put in zip lock bag and stomp on 'em . Or put on hard surface and using a small kitchen hammer bam 'em.

Honored Contributor

It depends how fine you need them. I've smashed them by hand and even run them through a manual nut grinder.

Honored Contributor

I smash in a Ziploc bag & use DH's rubber mallet. If you don't want your Vitamix container scratched up I don't think I would use it for that.

Trusted Contributor

I crush them this time of year for peppermint bark. I simply put them in a zip top freezer bag and use a heavy metal or wooden spoon.

Frequent Contributor
I put peppermints in my Kitchenaid food processor once and it scratched the bowl very badly. It's cloudy looking now.
Honored Contributor
Or you can buy them at Michaels or Joanns well worth the extra $ to me because they are all the right size and no powder residue. As a matter of fact I used my food processor and it scratch the bowl terribly and it's still ""cloudy"" years later!
Respected Contributor

I also use a ziplock bag - squeeze most of the air out - and the flat side of a meat mallet/tenderizer.

At my DD's house I use a hammer.

Respected Contributor

I use a Ziplock bag and a hammer. Just make sure all of the air is out of the bag

Super Contributor

Plastic bag and a rolling pin, or the bottom of a saucepan. If you want some small crushed pieces, I would think your Vitamix might over crush them so you end up with fine peppermint powder. I needed some peppermint candy pieces for some brownies the other day and just used the bag method with a couple candy canes.