Trusted Contributor

I found a mint, new with papers, crock pot at Goodwill.

I think today I will make some chili in it to break it in.

Nothing like a neat find to make cooking fun!

Super Contributor

Good for you! I still use mine for beef stew. Simple, works great, love it!

Trusted Contributor

Crock pot chili....mmmmm, enjoy! Congrats on your find!

Respected Contributor

I also found an older crock pot at Goodwill and grabbed it - the newer ones cook so hot, even on Low, that I have burned food in it when I cook things for 8 hours. This old round red one slow cooks beautifully. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Regular Contributor

What make is it? My friend was cleaning out her mom's attic and gave me a Hamilton Beach 4qt one. I think these are the originals?

Honored Contributor

The originals are about 12"" in diameter and tall - the crocks do not come out to wash them - which makes cleaning them a Pain in the neck. I threw mine away when we moved to Fl 4 years ago as I also had a much more modern one.

Honored Contributor

Vey cool find - will make your chili taste just that much better! Enjoy - 'tis the season to cook crockpot style.

Honored Contributor
On 12/14/2014 MScotty said:

What make is it? My friend was cleaning out her mom's attic and gave me a Hamilton Beach 4qt one. I think these are the originals?

If it's a Crock Pot, it's a Rival brand. They are the ones who originated it and own the name 'Crock Pot'. Hamilton Beach came out with a slow cooker some time down the road.

As for the old Crock Pots, I remember having that one that was avocado green and it was taller than it was wide. I believe there was some sort of design on the side (?). Clearly, it was forever ago because not only do I not remember a time when I thought OD/avocado/olive green was an acceptable color (ha!), but I haven't even done dump cooking in eons. But I very clearly remember that green Crock Pot from way back when! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Chickenbutt, I must have had that same crockpot. Went with my avocado appliances. Did I ever think I had the most up to date kitchen!

Honored Contributor
On 12/14/2014 kitty60 said:

Chickenbutt, I must have had that same crockpot. Went with my avocado appliances. Did I ever think I had the most up to date kitchen!

For sure! It was avocado green and harvest gold. I also had the avocado green Corelle dishes, WAY back in the day, with the tiny little flowers on them. I had some of the matching bakeware.

It kind of makes me chuckle when I think of how much I abhor that color! Must have been something I went through in the 70s that broke that.