Valued Contributor

I know someone will make a comment about buying fresh food to avoid this problem. But, I did buy some fresh garlic bulbs yesterday, got them home and saw then they came from CHINA. I read labels on canned goods trying to avoid food from China and now it seems the manufacturers are not putting the origin of where food comes from, only that it is "distributed by------(fill in the blank) which does not tell where the food comes from. It is getting very discouraging trying to buy anything that does not come from CHINA.{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Respected Contributor

I have noticed this also. It's not on everything, but I'm seeing it more and more. I won't eat food from China.

I bought some fresh frozen raspberries and blueberries the other day from a discount club. When I got home the bag stated; product of China and Siberia. (I just didn't notice it at first).

Instead of discarding it, I returned it for a refund. One of these days things will change.

Esteemed Contributor

nomar, I volunteer for my local farmers' market. Over the summer, they had a challenge to eat local. Finding it odd, I started paying close attention to where my food comes from.

I was amazed at how many fresh meats are from China! Smithfield, a local pork producer, was bought by a Chinese company. The bakery close to me is Chinese owned. On and on and on.

A coworker recently mentioned that a major bank was bought by a Chinese bank.

I wonder what's going on?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
On 12/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:

nomar, I volunteer for my local farmers' market. Over the summer, they had a challenge to eat local. Finding it odd, I started paying close attention to where my food comes from.

I was amazed at how many fresh meats are from China! Smithfield, a local pork producer, was bought by a Chinese company. The bakery close to me is Chinese owned. On and on and on.

While I won't intentionally seek out fresh produce from China, I have no problem with some some grocery staples used in Asian recipes that I've bought for years that come from China.

And living near a huge metropolitan area, I am very used to and have no problem with bakeries or restaurants or anything else being owned by the Chinese or any other foreign nationality. I like the diversity it offers.

The Chinese have their economic woes, to be sure, but they have been successful in the past couple decades in terms of foreign investments. I'm not sure why we necessarily fault them for that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Hi SuzyQ!

I didn't say anyone is at fault; I said I wonder what's going on...big difference!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I'm wondering how you define food from China. I don't know the facts in your case, but, having a bakery that is Chinese owned does not mean their food comes from China. It is quite possible the bakery food is made locally rather than imported from China. Also the Chinese person who owns that bakery may well be an American citizen.

Honored Contributor

Our markets were deluged with canned good from China two years ago. Now days, hardly any. Evidently people stopped buying and the store buyers heeded the message.

Honored Contributor

I won't eat anything I know is made, manufactured or produced in China. HOWEVER, if Chinese people are doing business in this country and abiding by the FDA, I have absolutely no problems with that and have eaten in Asian restaurants a lot.

Respected Contributor

China has a booming economy, the number of millionaires there is growing in leaps and bounds and they need to invest there money somewhere.

Honored Contributor
On 12/12/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Hi SuzyQ!

I didn't say anyone is at fault; I said I wonder what's going on...big difference!

I guess I've read enough posts decrying Chinese investments here and elsewhere that I naturally infer the same from wondering what's going on.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland