Respected Contributor

How long would you bake this cake? Make an educated guess.

The cake I make all the time is the one where you only use a cake mix and a 15 oz. can of pumpkin. It is very dense and moist. However, it doesn't raise too much.

In a regular cake pan 9 by 13 glass pan it takes 25 minutes at 325 degrees.

The whole cake fits into my fiestaware 9" square baking pan. It bakes without going over the sides, but I don't know how long it takes to bake. It is somewhat thicker than a regular cake.

I tried 30 minutes and it was totally raw in the middle. I didn't know it was still raw and let it cool. So I couldn't put it back in the oven at that point. I can't use the toothpick method because I use a cake mix with mini chocolate chips in it and if you stick one of those that's melted it "appears" not done when it might be done.

My DIL says to bake it 55 minutes. I think that is too long and it would dry out.

I might just make a different kind next time so I can use the toothpick method.

How long do you think it would take to bake?

Honored Contributor

Re: How long would you bake this cake? Make an educated guess.

At least 40 or 45?

Can you test it by looking at the top or touching it to see if it bounces back to the touch? Does it pull away from the sides?

Respected Contributor

Pumpkin is so dense I'm not sure 55 would be too long. I'd keep stabbing the toothpicks in until I found a spot that didn't have a chip. I would test it at 10 minute intervals after 40 minutes.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

I, too, would start testing (in the center) @ 45 minutes. Depending on how the toothpick looked after the first test, though, would determine at what interval you might want to test again.

Respected Contributor

Thank you. Well, I scooped out the middle and we ate the strip around the edge. LOL

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 mima said:

Thank you. Well, I scooped out the middle and we ate the strip around the edge. LOL

lol

Honored Contributor

Sometimes cakes made in a smaller pan just really don't get done in the middle before the edges are dried out. Test by feeling of the middle, see if it springs back, and by sticking a toothpick in to see if it comes out clean or not and not wet and sticky.

GOOD LUCK!

Respected Contributor

On 12/9/2014 brii said:
On 12/9/2014 mima said:

lol

I'm just glad we didn't have company!

Respected Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Sooner said:

Sometimes cakes made in a smaller pan just really don't get done in the middle before the edges are dried out. Test by feeling of the middle, see if it springs back, and by sticking a toothpick in to see if it comes out clean or not and not wet and sticky.

GOOD LUCK!

I was wondering about that.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 mima said:
On 12/9/2014 brii said:
On 12/9/2014 mima said:

lol

I'm just glad we didn't have company!

You can't risk it.

I used to make the most delicious pound cake. It baked for over an hour, but 9 times out of 10, the center was raw. The top would be burning and the inside was raw. No matter what I did, I couldn't get that cake to bake properly.

One time I took it to someone's house, and there was a raw spot. I had to stop making it.