Trusted Contributor

what main dish do you make for Christmas/New Years

Turkey, ham, prime rib, other?
Honored Contributor

Re: what main dish do you make for Christmas/New Years

It changes every year, but is rarely ever turkey. Sometimes prime rib, sometimes ham.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I usually make ham or turkey for Christmas and prime rib for New Years. I remember relatives making fish and lasagna (were italian) Christmas eve.
Respected Contributor

German sauerbraten with dumplings!

Honored Contributor

New Year's Day. Pork loin roast rubbed with herbs-good health, Kahlua candied yams-good health, collards-the dollars you'll make, black eyed peas-the coins you'll make, apples-the region we live in, corn bread, and chocolate chess pie with whipped cream.

Esteemed Contributor

For Christmas I am making breast of turkey and a spiral ham and for New Year's Tamales

Honored Contributor

I always change it up. I have lobster tails and a duck in the freezer so probably one of those for New Years. Christmas we always do a brunch.

Respected Contributor

Leg of lamb and for those that don't like lamb, prime rib with creamy horseradish sauce. Always some form of pasta to carry on my Sicilian heritage. My aunts always made ravioli or stuffed shells but they are deceased and all us cousins are spread across the U.S.
Respected Contributor

Christmas Eve--lasagna Christmas Day--ham, scalloped potatoes New Year's Day--no special meal. We go out to a favorite restaurant on New Year's Eve, and have their special menu for that night. On New Year's Day, we just eat very simply.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Probably do turkey for Christmas as we did prime rib for Thanksgiving (for a change).

Definitely surf & turf for New Year's Eve - just saw Aldi's special for Maine lobster tails next week. We bought some earlier this year when they were on special and (surprisingly) they were some of the best lobster tails we've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Denise