Esteemed Contributor

Green Bean Casserole, Part Two!!

I made the classic Green Bean Casserole with mushroom gravy instead of cream of mushroom soup today for Thanksgiving and EVERYONE in my family complained and said not to change the original traditional dish! I guess for Christmas dinner it is back to the old recipe!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Green Bean Casserole, Part Two!!

I totally get sticking to what you like. My family likes our green beans flavored with sautéed bacon and a little onion, salt and pepper only. Green bean casserole is not allowed in this house.
Esteemed Contributor

Bacon would be good added to the casserole!! Dare I????

Honored Contributor

Absolutely! Bacon makes everything better!
Honored Contributor

They are a tough crowd. Must have forgotten to be thankful for someone who cooked for them.

Super Contributor

I stuck with the classic recipe for Thanksgiving. My husband's daughter in law loves it. no leftovers. She is a vegetarian, and made a lot new recipes, a fair share of tofu and spices I'm not familiar with. I love my veggies, but more on the plain side, and I;m not crazy about tofu. She thanked me for the green bean casserole and went back for seconds. Sometimes familiar is good.

Honored Contributor

I made a new recipe for green beans today - tired of the ole classic. Was flicking channels last week and saw Ree Drummonds tgiving she made green beans w/diced tomatos, chopped red onion & bacon. Wow it was delicious and really tasty.
Trusted Contributor

My daughter-in-law made it with smoked gouda cheese, red peppers and fresh green beans and it was yummy. I think she used a recipe from the cooking channel.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a tough time introducing anything new on a holiday menu so to spare time, expense and my feelings I quit fighting. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

My DH makes a german sweet/sour green bean dish that has bacon and a mushroom gravy in it plus, of course the onion to sweeten it and some vinegar. It is fantastic.