Honored Contributor

Gotta love the Internet for "fixing cooking" problems like Salty gravy!

Well I had made my gravy today from the drippings from a turkey breast I made for a friend. Yikes when I tasted it had a little salty taste (to my liking) was perplexed what to do! Asked my friend and she said "sugar" I thought that was a little weird. Decided to do a search and the answer is: Cut up a potatoe and simmer for 45 minutes. WOW it worked great! And also if to thick add a little milk/water. Thought I'd share in case others may have the same oops! Happy Thanksgiving to all
Honored Contributor

Re: Gotta love the Internet for ""fixing cooking"" problems like Salty gravy!

I always use a potato for a salt fix. Thank goodness you didn't add sugar. Yuck!

I love to check the internet for ideas and solutions and sometimes I just look somthing up because I have second guessed myself.

++++++++++++++++++

I just made 2 apple pies, they are baked and sitting on my counter. I just remembered that I forgot to add butter with the apples.

I don't think the internet has a solution for that. I'll just have to seve it with ice cream or whipped cream and maybe no one will notice.

Honored Contributor

What did we do before the internet! I set out to cook the turkey my son had received as a bonus at work on Monday. I knew it was fresh and in the garage fridge, but didn't even pay any further attention.

Got it out Thanksgiving morning, and saw it was smoked. I have never done anything but a thawed frozen turkey all these years, and when I unwrapped it I was perplexed. No instructions, and it looked to me like it was cooked.

20 minutes on the internet and I had it figured out. And it was wonderful. Never had turkey like this before, but now we want one like this every year.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, sugar works great for that with other dishes but good thing you didn't do that with the gravy.

I've heard the potato thing for many years, but have yet to have to try that.

I think one thing (in my mind, anyway) that helps to not end up with anything over-seasoned is that I gently season along the way with dishes. Each component of the dish is gently seasoned so you don't end up with a big salt bomb at the end.

I always think of Anne Burrell when I think about 'too much salt'. She had a show for a few seasons on FN and it seemed like everything she cooked got a handful, OR TWO HANDFULS (!) of salt. Yikes!

Valued Contributor

God Bless the Imternet.Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

I've never had success with potatoes to reduce a salty taste and sugar works with some things but not others. I've had the most success with lemon juice to cut the taste of saltiness.