Esteemed Contributor

yuck! is chicken stock supposed to be like this?

I boiled a chicken last night with salt & pepper and some herbs de Provence. I put it in the refrigerator overnight and was planning to use it when I make my dressing today. as I removed the layer of fat that had risen to the top I noticed that the whole container full looked like clear jelly. in the past I have boiled the chicken and used the stock the same day , so I'm not sure if this is normal for refrigerated stock or not. is it supposed to be so gelatinous? it looks like pure fat! I didn't use it, and used boxed chicken stock instead. it kinda freaked me out {#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Re: yuck! is chicken stock supposed to be like this?

sounds normal to me,the collagen in the chicken bones makes it gel.

Esteemed Contributor

It was fine, but you didn't have it in the fridge long enough. That was just the fat doing it's thing to rise.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Some people skim it if the look of it bothers them. It does not affect the flavor.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that's normal. Once you heat it up, it will turn to liquid again. Oh, no, just noticed your last line: you tossed the best chicken broth ever. I used to buy stewing hens just to make soup with because it had all the flavor from the fat.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 twopeas said:

Yes, that's normal. Once you heat it up, it will turn to liquid again. Oh, no, just noticed your last line: you tossed the best chicken broth ever. I used to buy stewing hens just to make soup with because it had all the flavor from the fat.

yep, they say the best broth will gel.

Super Contributor

The gel actually comes from the bones....contains proteins and such. Not fat.
Super Contributor

Yes, I'm actually disappointed when mine doesn't gel...generally means I didn't cook it down long enough. That's the most nutritious kind of stock!

Trusted Contributor

Gel is good! I will usually them skim the fat off and boil it again to reduce by 2/3, making a concentrate. I then freeze it in ice cube trays so I can take a couple out when I want to make a sauce, a rice pilaf or soup.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/26/2014 twopeas said:

twopeas, I didn't get rid of it, I just didn't use it. I still have it but now I won't need it for the dressing. can I freeze it?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich