Valued Contributor

Does it really matter what type of apples you use in an apple pie???

Hi Ladies, While I know it's a matter of taste preference, does it matter in terms of quality what type of apples you use for a pie?? I'm asking because I wasn't planning on making an apple pie for tomorrow, but I now have a bee in my bonnet about making one, and I only have Honey Crisp. Any words of wisdom? TIASmiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Re: Does it really matter what type of apples you use in an apple pie???

Btw, in the past, I've used Granny Smith or some other, crispy apple.
Respected Contributor

As long as it's a type of apple that is crisp, it really doesn't. I like to use a couple of different kinds. If you use Honey Crisp, lower the sugar by quite a bit, unless you like a really sweet pie. I like Granny Smith because they are tart. Happy eating!

Valued Contributor

Brandiwine--Thanks so much. This is helpful.Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Actually it DOES make a difference- certain apples "bake" down to nothing- so a mix is best or you won't find them once the pie is baked!- the sweeter apples are the ones that practically melt --- do a search online - and yes, Granny Smith's are a must to include.

Respected Contributor

Honey crisp makes very good apple pies. It is rated high with Bon Appetit as well. You can mix it with some granny smith to layer the flavor but if you only have honey crisp you will have a great pie as well. They hold up in baking and are great while they are in season.

What time will it be ready? I am willing to sample it for you!

doxie

Honored Contributor

IMO, there is a difference in apples that are good for making pies.

Some apples hold their shape and stay firm when baked. Some go to mush and get too juicy ruining the crust and they make it impossible to cut a clean slice of pie.

The firm apples I use include Pink Lady, Granny Smith, Btaeburn, Golden Delicious, Honey Crips, Jonagold, Rome Beuty and Winesap.

The softer apples I like are Cortland, Empire and McIIntosh.

I like to use the firm apples, but I think mixing both types makes a really good pie. I am very partical to Cortland mixed with a firm variety.

I am making two apple pies tonight for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I am using a mix of Granny Smith, Honey Crisp and Cortland apples.

Super Contributor

It matters both in texture and taste. Baking softens the fruit up, so "heartier" versions of apples, like Granny Smith's, will hold up to being baked. Granny Smith's also have a crisper, tart taste that by itself could be too tart by itself, so balancing it out with a hearty sweeter apple is why apple pie recipes are seen asking for 2-3 types of apples.

Valued Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Carmie said:

Some apples hold their shape and stay firm when baked. Some go to mush and get too juicy ruining the crust and they make it impossible to cut a clean slice of pie.

The firm apples I use include Pink Lady, Granny Smith, Btaeburn, Golden Delicious, Honey Crips, Jonagold, Rome Beuty and Winesap.

I like to use the firm apples, but I think mixing both types makes a really good pie. I am very partical to Cortland mixed with a firm variety.

I am making two apple pies tonight for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I am using a mix of Granny Smith, Honey Crisp and Cortland apples.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Good selection-- except for golden delicious imo---- but since I'm no spring chicken-- I prefer older varieties like Grandma used to make - which are no- fail!! I notice if you have a wegmans in your area that they often have little notations of whether the variety is good for baking or eating or both! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Honored Contributor

On 11/26/2014 dgluvr said:
On 11/26/2014 Carmie said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Good selection-- except for golden delicious imo---- but since I'm no spring chicken-- I prefer older varieties like Grandma used to make - which are no- fail!! I notice if you have a wegmans in your area that they often have little notations of whether the variety is good for baking or eating or both! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hey, was that you following me today? {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

I did shop at Wegmans today and purchased apples. They have varieties that I have never heard of and some were as big as grapefruits.

I am no spring chicken either, but I like to try new things...if I don't like the apple variety I purchased I just throw them in a pie. My husband will eat any kind of apples in a pie. even mushy ones.