Esteemed Contributor

I'm making my turkey stock tonight to use tomorrow. I used both onions and leeks and it smells very onion-y.

What can I use to cut down on the onion? The veggies and herbs are beneath 5 pounds of turkey wings, so I'm not removing them. I'm using the stock for the turkey, the gravy and the dressing.

My first thought is lime, but does anyone have a better suggestion? I have a very well stocked kitchen.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I think lime is a good place to start, it pairs well with that, without being too citrusy or sweet.

I had this same problem when I made andouille and sausage gumbo recently. The onions that I used for my broth must have had "super powers", my broth smelled like straight up French onion soup.........not a hint of celery, bell pepper, garlic, etc. I simply cut down on the amount of onion I put in my trinity to make the gumbo and it turned out perfect. In fact, my SO said it was some of the best he's ever had!! Maybe you could cut down on the onions in the dressing to help balance it out. You'll have a bit more leeway to adjust the gravy as you go along. Best of luck.....I'm sure it will be delicious!!

Esteemed Contributor

Doxie, thanks! I just put an old lime in the pot.

You use bell peppers in your trinity? They don't make your broth bitter?

Esteemed Contributor

Doxie, now it smells like a fragrant stock! Thank you again!