Respected Contributor
I have ordered a ham for Christmas when all our family will be here - need some ideas for dishes to serve with it. Everyone says Mac & cheese (which we love) and if course I always make a big mixed salad. Wondered if any of you Ladies had any suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving.
Super Contributor

I love Scalloped Potatoes with Baked Ham.

I have also served a Curried Fruit dish. Uses canned pears, peaches, etc. and is quite easy to do. You can adjust the amount of curry powder to your liking. I used my Mom's recipe, but this one sounds just like it:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/g97q199q/baked-curried-fruit.html

Chef Paul Wahlberger (Mark and Donnie's brother) posted a Caramel Apple/Cranberry Conserve Recipe recipe from his restaurant here in Massachusetts on FB (published in Conde-Nast Traveler Magazine) that would probably be as good with ham as with turkey as it has Granny Smith apple in it. Sounds like a good mix of tart and sweet:

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-11-25/recipe-paul-wahlberg-caramelized-cranberry-apple-chutn...

When I bake my ham, I use a crushed Ginger snap cookie "crust". Alton Brown and others have recipes online for variations (some with Bourbon, some with mustard rub) .

Honored Contributor

We also do a ham for christmas and we like mashed sweet potatoes with it, and a veg. For the mashed sweet potatoes I just oil (olive) and season the sweet potatoes (I use the light flesh ones) and roast them in the oven. Then I remove the skins and mash them with butter, some sort of hard cheese, and s&p.

Since I don't do a gravy with ham, this is good because you don't need gravy for the mashed sweet potatoes either.

My veg is either a sautéed green bean dish or Brussels sprouts - something like that.

Honored Contributor

Warm Fruit Salad
Cranberry Chutney (Taste of Home's recipe is incredible. I've made it twice in the last 2 weeks)
Scalloped Apples
Potato Casserole of some kind (baked, hash brown, or scalloped)
Broccoli Casserole
Mashed Sweet Potatoes or Glazed Sweet Potato Slices
Glazed Baby Carrots
Corn Pudding

Respected Contributor

I am not a mac and cheese lover until DS's girlfriend brought this over. It is Emeril's Smoked Gouda Cheese Macaroni. Delicious!!!

Ingredients
6 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound ditalini or small elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/4 pound smoked Gouda cheese, grated
Parsley
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put the water, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the white pepper and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes. Remove the white sauce from the heat and stir in the cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese melts. Lightly grease a 6 1/2 by 10-inch casserole dish with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter. Combine the cheese sauce and macaroni in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Pour into the prepared casserole and bake until lightly golden on top, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot. Garnish with parsley.

Recipe from Everyday Is A Party Cookbook, by Emeril Lagasse, with Marcelle Bienvenu and Felicia Willett, published by William Morrow, 1999

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/smoked-gouda-cheese-macaroni-recipe.html#!?oc=link...

Super Contributor
Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole Recipe
Baked Ginger Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole with Bourbon Recipe
Baked Ginger Sweet Potatoes Recipe
(Made with haricots verts, (French green beans) usually found in the gourmet produce section of your supermarket.)
I have made all of the above recipes and can vouch that all are delicious.
Other than my cookbooks, some culinary sources I defer to are CiaoItalia.com (Maryanne Esposito), Cooks.com, Epicurious.com, MyRecipes.com, SouthernCooking.com, and FoodNetwork.com (specifically Ina Garten and Tyler Florence).

P o o k i e
Honored Contributor

Take off some of the back end of the ham and put it in some collard greens! You can do those the day before and they are even better! Fresh ones are THE best!

Baked apples are great with ham too!

Honored Contributor

Stir fried collards or medley of greens and

Kahlua Candied Yams.

One small sweet potato per person, count children

Cook, covered with water just until a fork goes in.

Drain On paper towels.

Peel and add in 1/2 inch rounds in prepared syrup.

Syrup For Four -Six Sweet Potatoes

In large slillet, melt 1 stick butter and 1/2 C dark brown sugar.

Add 1 C kahlua and lightly simmer 15-20 minutes to form a syrup.

Cook sweet potato rounds, basting frequently, for 20 minutes.

Reheats great!

Respected Contributor
Wow, thank you so much Ladies I am so grateful for your suggestions going to plan now. You Ladies are the best.
Honored Contributor
My family always had ham for Christmas. My sister made home made potato salad with sliced eggs on top. It was everyone's favorite.