Super Contributor

Can baked pumpkin pie slices be frozen? Have you done this, do they freeze well?

Honored Contributor

Yes they can. The best pumpkin pie recipe is the Eagle Milk recipe.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor
On 11/25/2014 Bungo said:

Yes they can. The best pumpkin pie recipe is the Eagle Milk recipe.

How is the Eagle Milk recipe different from the Libby's recipe and what is Eagle Milk?

Super Contributor
I don't see why not, Mrs. Smith freezes her pie, and she sells by the millions during thanksgiving.
Honored Contributor

I meant Eagle Brand Milk. Sorry. It makes just one pie and is perfect for a small family. Here it is:1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shell , 2 cups canned pumpkin (16-17 oz. can),1 egg, 1/2 teasp salt, 1/2 teasp nutmeg, 1/2 teasp ginger and 3/4 teasp cinnamon.

Blend ingredients in bowl. Turn into shell. Bake at 375 50-55 minutes until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor
On 11/25/2014 Lynnj said: I don't see why not, Mrs. Smith freezes her pie, and she sells by the millions during thanksgiving.

Thank you for the replies. Bungo, thank you for the recipe, I know of Eagle Brand Milk altho I've never made that recipe. Lynnj, Mrs. Smith's frozen pies are not baked yet. That's what I was wondering about, if being baked made a difference if you could freeze or not.

Super Contributor

I've never frozen baked pies. The filling would be fine, but I would think perhaps the pastry would be soggy when it defrosted, even if warmed up in the oven. Maybe some of the ladies here could share their tips.

Esteemed Contributor

BigOrangeKitty- I have never frozen baked pie slices, but I think Jules is right, my concern would be the crust.

Here is a tip for you using the recipe on Libby's pumpkin-Instead of evaporated milk, use whipping cream and add an extra dash of cinnamon.

I only use Libby's pumpkin and Saigon or Vietnamese cinnamon.

This recipe gets rave reviews from everyone who has eaten it.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I freeze just about everything, including pumpkin pie...it was already baked and was not goint to be eaten before it would go bad...it froze just fine and tasted good once thawed.

Super Contributor

Thank you, betteb. Sounds good!