Honored Contributor

O/T: Do you remember Christmas Club Accounts?

When I was a kid, I had a bank book that was exclusively for my Christmas Club account. My friends and I would walk to the bank, deposit cash and watch it add up over the course of the year.

Does anyone remember these? I think my employer used to control one for us when I first started working. I don't buy many gifts these days, but it would still be a good idea to squirrel some money away for holiday time.

Does anyone still do this?

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T: Do you remember Christmas Club Accounts?

I still have one; set it up when I opened my credit union account many years ago and am very happy mid-November of each year when the check arrives! It's not much, but puts a little dent into my Christmas expenses.

Super Contributor

My daughter and I were just talking about that before. She works at a bank and they still have them. I thought that was gone a long time ago. I used to do it like 30 years ago.

Frequent Contributor

On 11/25/2014 house_cat said:

When I was a kid, I had a bank book that was exclusively for my Christmas Club account. My friends and I would walk to the bank, deposit cash and watch it add up over the course of the year.

Does anyone remember these? I think my employer used to control one for us when I first started working. I don't buy many gifts these days, but it would still be a good idea to squirrel some money away for holiday time.

Does anyone still do this?

Yes, i remember that! i used to do it every year! Not sure why i ever stopped. That was a great way to save money, period! I wonder if the bank i have now, does this? I think i shall check it out! Thanks for the reminder!

This would even be great for my kids to start doing too. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Still do after 30+ years Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I remember them well.....good idea come the end of the year....makes shopping easier....

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I remember ~ I had the little payment book and the teller would tear out the appropriate "page" each week! What a timely memory ~ it was always so great to receive that check! Thanks for reminding me!
Respected Contributor

Credit unions still have those, though they don't seem to advertise them much. One thing my credit unions do this time of year that's pretty popular is a deferred loan payment by request. I did that one year when I had a car loan. It just meant my loan went a month longer, but it was nice to have that money for holiday spending that year.

Respected Contributor

Yes - I have a Christmas account through my credit union. So nice at the end of the year!

Esteemed Contributor

My former credit union still has them. They had all different kinds of club accounts you can open.