Respected Contributor

Can I cut and refrigerate potatoes a day ahead of time?

The family is gathering for an out-of-town ( 1 hour away)Thanksgiving around noonish. I'm trying to do as much as possible in advance.

I've always heard that potatoes turn into sugar if refrigerated. If this is so, I'll be getting up at the crack of dawn to make mash potatoes. {#emotions_dlg.huh}

Any help with this? Thanks in advance.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can I cut and refrigerate potatoes a day ahead of time?

My mom used to do that. She put them in water in a bowl with a lid, like Tupperware, and covered them so they wouldn't turn black. It worked fine. No sugar, just cold potatoes.

Respected Contributor

Just be sure they are completely covered with cold water.

Also, saw on GMA this morning, you can make mashed potatoes in advance, roll into logs and store in a plastic bag. Reheat in plastic bag. Alton Brown said they could even be frozen this way. Apparently reheating a large bowl and constant mixing makes the potatoes gluey.

Valued Contributor

I make the "make ahead mashed potato recipe", you can make them up to 3 days ahead. Just make as usual, then add sour cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, butter. Store in frig, then bake about an hour when ready.

Respected Contributor

FlowershopGirl - thanks SO much!

lavenderjunkie - great idea!

Respected Contributor

Soushi - AWESOME!

I think I'm going to get a good night's rest, now. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Well, the starch DOES convert to sugar when you refrigerate potatoes, but the same thing happens when you eat them so there's no harm there I suppose.

That said, however, I wouldn't do it unless I was going ahead and just making the mashed potatoes at that time. That you can do and just put them into a casserole and heat them up the next day. Mashed potatoes heat up very well.

Honored Contributor

You can actually make your potatoes a couple of days ahead - I'm doing mine today. I just put them over a ""double boil"" style pot to re-heat them - you may have to add a little more cream/milk but they are awesome! Or you can put them in a pot and reheat (or a casserole dish covered in the oven. Learned this from my Grandmom years ago & do it anytime I have to cook for a crowd! Happy Thanksgiving!
Super Contributor

Yes, I have peeled my potatoes ahead of time and kept them covered in salted water in the fridge. I once asked the question of some chefs and they agreed that there's no harm done, even for two or three days. The salt helps retard browning.

Honored Contributor

Yes just make sure they are covered in water. I do it when I make stew. There is so much prep cutting everything up & I like to get the potatoes cut up & out of the way since it takes longer to but all the potatoes.

Has anyone ever heard you can dip potatoes in hot water like you do peaches to remove the peel? I read this online or heard this on TV not to long ago & wondered if it really works. Never thought about dipping the potatoes in hot water to see if the peel would come right off. Sure would be easier then peeling potatoes. Guess I need to do a search. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this? If it does work you probably would have to put them in ice water like you do peaches after removing from the hot water.

I just looked online it says to boil potatoes until tender put in sink or bowl of ice water then peel. Won't work when I make stew as I don't want them cooked. They would by mushy after making a pot of stew with them.