Occasional Contributor

Is it Normal to see scratches/marring on Vitamix Container?

I just purchased the Vitamix 7500 about two wks ago (tomorrow, 11/25, will be 2 wks) and there all small diagonal scratches as well as a bunch of tiny scratches inside my container (from the middle to the bottom and corners). I was the container per the Vitamix instructions (fill it half way or less with warm water, 1-2 drops of dish soap and run for 30-60 secs), dry it with a super soft microfiber towel and only use a rubber spatula. I usually make frappuccinos, ice cream, sorbets and smoothies (made soup once). At first I thought the scratches were minimal, but I looked at it closely in the light and it has tons of little scratches/marring. I'm guessing it's from the tamper. I asked another Vitamix demonstrator and their container is not scratched and I viewed another demonstrator on Youtube and their container looks new after a year's use. I'm also seeing little slight bubble discolorations on the container. It looks like it has dirty spots, but when you wipe it, it's just the plastic. I don't have a dishwasher and I haven't used any harsh or anything other than 1-2 drops of dishsoap. I'm calling Vitamix tomorrow, but has anyone experienced scratches/marring in such a short time? I still love my machine!

Thanks!

Sharon N.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it Normal to see scratches/marring on Vitamix Container?

Have you used it to grind grains, nuts, or seeds? Those can scratch the interior (one of the reasons they sell separate "dry" containers). It is only superficial, though, and should not impact performance.

Occasional Contributor

I forgot to mention that I have not used it to grind anything. I also purchased a dry container for grains, etc. I have thoroughly researched the use of the container before I received it and how to maintain it for long use. I'm just concerned about the spots on the plastic and that it's only two wks old tomorrow and I couldn't imagine what it would look like in a year. I was hoping others could chime in on their experience. Another demonstrator told me her container does not have any scratches.

Trusted Contributor

In that case, I think you should give them a call. If there has been no grinding, there should be no noticeable scratches after a short time. BTW, I have the same model and love it.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Vitamix that is a couple years old - use it just about every day. The container is marred and cloudy but I attribute that to my many uses, especially the ice and frozen fruit in my smoothies. Don't ever grind grains but occasionally I will chop a small quantity of nuts (never made the peanut butter). I don't worry about it. It doesn't impair the operation - just doesn't look nice.

Honored Contributor

They probably will replace it, but as you use things, they will show wear.

Respected Contributor

My Vitamix is about 5 years old and the container has a lot of small scratches/marring. I only make smoothies in mine but I agree that the ice being thrown around in there probably causes it.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it. I was so excited to finally be able to purchase my Vitamix (I still am) and have been sooooo careful with the container and how I use the machine. I'm sure I will relax with time. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} What had me worried was I called Vitamix CS and she told me I shouldn't be seeing scratches (when I called the machine was less than a week old - it's two weeks today, 11/25). Now I do see some very small bubbles or round markings that looks cloudy, like dry milk, but when I gently rub it, it's the plastic and not dirt. I plan to call today and update this post with their findings in case there are others out there that experience the same problem. I still love, love, love my machine and have been truly enjoying my smoothies, mocha frappuccinos, cherry almond sorbettos and vanilla ice creams!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/25/2014 gonnab said:

I have a Vitamix that is a couple years old - use it just about every day. The container is marred and cloudy but I attribute that to my many uses, especially the ice and frozen fruit in my smoothies. Don't ever grind grains but occasionally I will chop a small quantity of nuts (never made the peanut butter). I don't worry about it. It doesn't impair the operation - just doesn't look nice.

Same problem here - I put nuts and wheat germ in my smoothies and my container is cloudy
- something they manage to fail during demos{#emotions_dlg.sad}.

Occasional Contributor

FYI...Two VM demonstrators recommended drying the container after every cleaning with a microfiber towel and not air drying it. It helps eliminate cloudiness over time. One demonstrator has had his for a year (and he uses his container in the VM road shows) and it looks like new.

Vitamix plans to replace the shell of my container. It will take two weeks so I plan to do it after the Thanksgiving holiday. I can't imagine being without my machine for two weeks, but at least they are taking care of it for me. I also sent them pictures.

Sharon