Respected Contributor

Recommendation for a Quality Pressure Cooker

QVC item or otherwise. Are they all pretty much a standard kitchen item?

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendation for a Quality Pressure Cooker

Do you want an electric or stove-top model?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have the CE 8 qt oval Q sold many years ago that is no longer available. DH had to replace a fuse in it. After it quit working again I bought one off EBay for parts & DH fixed it again. While it was not working I bought the 6 qt Cuisinart CPC600. It quit working & had to send it to Cuisinart & they sent me a new one. No problems with the new one. I still recommend the Cuisinart because it has a 3 yr warranty.

Frequent Contributor

I did quite a bit of research into pressure cookers and I purchased the Secura and I love it. My second choice was Hotpot. You can Google both for information and reviews.

Valued Contributor

I also did lots of researching and finally purchased a 6 qt. Instant Pot...LOOOOOVE!!! it!!! I ordered it through Amazon. It was a little expensive, but it is a quality item and it had great reviews..

I bought the 7 in one that makes yogurt. It also has a stainless steel pot. I've had it for a few weeks and it's been used A LOT!! It makes wonderful yogurt. It also slow cooks, sautés, steams, keeps things warm and has several other pre-set functions.

I am still in the process of developing my own recipes, but have cooked everything from dried beans, rice, and meat, to cheesecake. I am very happy with my purchase so far.

I also bought Bob Wardens cookbook "Great Food Fast".. still have to tweak the recipes, but it's a nice book.

Good luck in your search..

Respected Contributor

According to Cooks Illustrated tests, Fagor is one of the top contenders, and since it's almost 200 less than their top pick the Fissler Vitaquick, would be a best buy.

Regular Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Nightowlz said:

I have the CE 8 qt oval Q sold many years ago that is no longer available. DH had to replace a fuse in it. After it quit working again I bought one off EBay for parts & DH fixed it again. While it was not working I bought the 6 qt Cuisinart CPC600. It quit working & had to send it to Cuisinart & they sent me a new one. No problems with the new one. I still recommend the Cuisinart because it has a 3 yr warranty.

Sounds like the one I have(CE model), tried getting an extra gasket, but no longer available. Saw the same model (but labeled as Farberware)on Craigslist and was almost temped to buy it. Still works great, just if the gasket goes bad it'll be useless. I have a stove top too, CE/Fagor 10qt., at least you can still get parts for those.

Respected Contributor

I have a Cuisanart and I love it. 3 years old and no problems.

Trusted Contributor

I have this one and LOVE it, but bought it here under the Technique label: http://www.ttustore.com/product/8-quart-hard-anodized-aluminum-pressure-cooker-by-denmark-tools-for-... It's a no-frills, stovetop, no nonstick coating, just plain HA metal. Works like a dream. Love it. Eta I think the model in the link may be an upgrade, though the appearance is the same as mine. I bought mine a few years ago on clearance so it is no longer available. But I see that this model has some kind of temperature indicator.
Honored Contributor

The best I've ever had by far is the stovetop Fissler. It is wonderful! It is expensive, but it is easy to use and works great.