Contributor

Best way to keep turkey moist

I am making a turkey breast in the crockpot....tried it last week to see how it would be...it came out soon good....white meat, which is what the breast meat is, can sometimes be a bit dry....this was absolutely not dry....very moist. I plan to do this the day before Thanksgiving. What is the best way to keep it moist until the next day? I would love to see your suggestions...

Honored Contributor

Re: Best way to keep turkey moist

Don't slice it and pour some of the stock over it. Also cook time is 5 1/2 hours max and take it out to keep from further cooking.

Regular Contributor

One year had to cook a whole turkey the day before because on Thanksgiving I would be gone at the airport. I cooked the turkey, sliced it, put it ll back in the pan and poured two cans of chicken stock over the turkey. On Thanksgiving after getting home I put the pan in oven to heat up the turkey. Came out great and super moist.
Esteemed Contributor

I use a turkey cooking bag. I cook part of it the night before, then finish it the next day. My turkey is never dry.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Cook it breast side down, if you don't care what it looks like. It won't be crispy and brown this way, but it will be moist!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

I've only had Thanksgiving dinner at my house once, as it's usually at my parents. I decided to brine the turkey the day/night before. The turkey came out beyond moist. Everyone loved it. Even my Dad said, in private, that it was the best turkey he'd ever had. Of course, my Mom refuses to brine and so we get her semi-moist turkey.
Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Cook it breast side down, if you don't care what it looks like. It won't be crispy and brown this way, but it will be moist!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Martha Stewart has a video on how to cook it upside down and get the top nice and brown. http://www.marthastewart.com/1076494/kitchen-conundrums#1091782

The demonstrator uses a loaf of bread in the bottom of the pan, covered in butter, to rest the breast on. Cooking on 425 for 45 minutes, then flipping and lowering the temp to 350 until temp is 165 at thigh. Then, very important, do not cut. Let it rest for 30 minutes. All he did was salt and pepper. It looked great!

I was also going to say the best way to keep it moist is to leave the turkey out in the rain!

Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Barbarainnc said:

I've always heard that this is amazing. I've never done it, because that crispy skin on the top is my favorite.

Like others here, I do an overnight brining. That will contribute heavily to moist, wonderful meat. I also make a dry rub that goes all over the outside. Some butter doesn't hurt, either. Smiley Happy

Just be sure not to overcook. If you don't have a thermometer, get one - even just a little cheapy one is fine. You can't really take cook times too seriously. I did a search one year for cooking times and every single one was different.