Contributor

What is the best way to make mashed potatoes the day before Thanksgiving and still be creamy and fluffy on Thanksgiving Day?

Honored Contributor

Re: Make ahead Mashed Potatoes

We just used Ore-Ida Steam and Mash for our early Thanksgiving and they were VERY good. Only took a little time to do while the turkey was roasting.
Honored Contributor

Honestly, you can just make them however you would usually make them, then heat them up on the day you are serving. Mashed potatoes heat up, even in the microwave, particularly well.

Valued Contributor

Here's what I do: I make the mashed potatoes as usual. Then, I generously butter an oven-proof baking dish. I put the mashed potatoes in, dot butter on the top, and cover tightly with foil before I put the dish into the fridge. The next day, remove from the fridge whenever you want. I make everything the day before, and take the dishes out so they are not quite so cold when I put them into the oven to heat.

Heat the oven to 325 and put the dish into the oven. Check under the foil from time to time. You may want to take the foil off. If the potatoes seem too moist or really fluffy, just stir them. If you think they look dry, just add a little warm milk and stir.

Every restaurant makes the potatoes and everything else ahead of time. its easy! Remember, they're just potatoes!

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 65and fabulous said:

Here's what I do: I make the mashed potatoes as usual. Then, I generously butter an oven-proof baking dish. I put the mashed potatoes in, dot butter on the top, and cover tightly with foil before I put the dish into the fridge. The next day, remove from the fridge whenever you want. I make everything the day before, and take the dishes out so they are not quite so cold when I put them into the oven to heat.

Heat the oven to 325 and put the dish into the oven. Check under the foil from time to time. You may want to take the foil off. If the potatoes seem too moist or really fluffy, just stir them. If you think they look dry, just add a little warm milk and stir.

Every restaurant makes the potatoes and everything else ahead of time. its easy! Remember, they're just potatoes!

This is what I do, too. I do my sweet potatoes this way as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I will cook mine and run them through the food mill. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and into the fridge over night, as shown by Sara Molton. Before dinner, leave out to room temp and heat on stove top. Add butter, milk, cream cheese, sour cream or whatever. Keep warm in a bowl over simmering water or in a crock pot.

Regular Contributor

Besides the standard ingredients, I always add about a tablespoon of olive oil (5 lb bag of potatoes) then mash with electric mixer. The next day I heat in microwave. I cover with press & seal put hole to vent in microwave safe container then heat. The olive keeps potatoes from drying out.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/23/2014 queendiva said:

I will cook mine and run them through the food mill. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and into the fridge over night, as shown by Sara Molton. Before dinner, leave out to room temp and heat on stove top. Add butter, milk, cream cheese, sour cream or whatever. Keep warm in a bowl over simmering water or in a crock pot.

I do exactly the same thing. I have been doing it since Moulton's days on "Cooking Live."

Trusted Contributor

On 11/23/2014 65and fabulous said:

Same here!