Super Contributor

Costco Pre Cooked Turkey Breast

Yesterday I was at Costco and bought one of their pre-cooked turkey breasts. It's located in the meats/prepared food section. Seen great comments about it over the years here on the Q threads, and have decided to try it.

It doesn't have heating instructions on the packaging. How would you heat this up, specifically, what temp and for how long? Its just under 4 pounds. Or...would you slice some and microwave to warm the slices? Would you cover it in some way to ensure keeping moisture in?

We are going out, Thanksgiving brunch, and will come home to watch football for the rest of the afternoon/evening. (GOOO EAGLES!!) Anyway, when you go out you don't get the opportunity to pick at leftovers later on, and coming days. I thought that we could heat this up and have available as a way of having leftovers. I will also make a few sides too.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Costco Pre Cooked Turkey Breast

This sounds like a great idea! I would warm it on very low.....200 degrees, or even put it in my crockpot on low. No more than 30 minutes total. You could even pour some chicken broth around it as a heat bath to keep it moist as well. Good luck!

Super Contributor

Thanks, TexasMom1 - Happy Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

I would slice it and put the slices in microwave for about 10 seconds to start to get the fridge chill off it and bring to room temp. You don't want to cook it.

Trusted Contributor

That is probably a better idea DiAnne! Thanks! I think I am going to get one of these precooked turkey breasts and try it too, for sandwiches. We are invited to a dinner, so I bet we won't have any take home bags! LOL!

Trusted Contributor

Is it the Kirkland brand? If it is it has instructions on it. We cook 2 of these every year for Thanksgiving and we LOVE them! They are moist and delicious and have no waste. They are great for leftovers. They have to be heated before eating. It says to add 1/4 cup of water, cover and heat in the oven. I don't remember the time or the temperature. Check again for the instructions and if you can't find them, let me know. HTH!

Honored Contributor

I bought a smoked turkey breast from Publix, cannot wait to taste it!

Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 turtle52 said:

Is it the Kirkland brand? If it is it has instructions on it. We cook 2 of these every year for Thanksgiving and we LOVE them! They are moist and delicious and have no waste. They are great for leftovers. They have to be heated before eating. It says to add 1/4 cup of water, cover and heat in the oven. I don't remember the time or the temperature. Check again for the instructions and if you can't find them, let me know. HTH!

Turtle - Yes, this is the Kirkland brand. There are no instructions. At least not on the outside of the wrapping. I don't see paper or anything between the clear plastic wrap and the meat. Maybe the instructions are on the underside of the wrapping? I guess I won't see them until Thursday. But....just in case there is nothing written there either, if you have the instructions, could you please post here?

DiAnne - I was thinking that maybe we could get away with just slicing and warming in the microwave. Thats how I would warm leftovers, and since this is pre cooked, I assume that would work the same?

Texasmom1 - I've attended as a guest at friends before, they usually send me home with a few containers filled with leftovers...but I don't know if you can count on it, LOL. I think this idea of picking up one of these pre-cooked turkey breasts is a good way to ensure leftovers. Then if you make a few sides, or even buy pre-made side (which Costco also sells - not that I am being an enabler or anything, LOL).

Its not exactly cheap, it was about $15 for a little less than 4 pounds. But time is money, and with this no need to hassle with cooking or cleaning kitchen after.

Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Hooty said:

I bought a smoked turkey breast from Publix, cannot wait to taste it!

Yummy! We will all have to check back after the holiday to let each other know how we made out with our selections, LOL.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Lynnj said:
On 11/23/2014 turtle52 said:

Turtle - Yes, this is the Kirkland brand. There are no instructions. At least not on the outside of the wrapping. I don't see paper or anything between the clear plastic wrap and the meat. Maybe the instructions are on the underside of the wrapping? I guess I won't see them until Thursday. But....just in case there is nothing written there either, if you have the instructions, could you please post here?

DiAnne - I was thinking that maybe we could get away with just slicing and warming in the microwave. Thats how I would warm leftovers, and since this is pre cooked, I assume that would work the same?

Texasmom1 - I've attended as a guest at friends before, they usually send me home with a few containers filled with leftovers...but I don't know if you can count on it, LOL. I think this idea of picking up one of these pre-cooked turkey breasts is a good way to ensure leftovers. Then if you make a few sides, or even buy pre-made side (which Costco also sells - not that I am being an enabler or anything, LOL).

Its not exactly cheap, it was about $15 for a little less than 4 pounds. But time is money, and with this no need to hassle with cooking or cleaning kitchen after.

Lynnj, the instructions are printed right on the plastic wrapping next to the calorie info. You CAN eat it cold as it is pre-cooked. Otherwise, heat it in the oven in a roasting pan with 1/2 cup of water for about an hour. I believe that the oven temperature is 350 degrees. Check again where I told you to look--I'm SURE that you'll find the instructions there. Then slice it lengthwise and enjoy! It really isn't expensive at all since it is solid meat and no waste. It doesn't shrink while cooking so what you see is what you'll get. It is about $4.00/lb. while Boar's Head deli turkey is about $10/lb. and this is SOOOO much better. We make this all year round and not just for Thanksgiving. HTH! Happy Thanksgiving!