Honored Contributor

Update to our BUTTER thread... on sale now at Ralph's (Kroger)!

I got them this week - 1 lb. package @ 2/$5.00 - no limit. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Is anyone else finding it on sale this week?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Update to our BUTTER thread... on sale now at Ralph's (Kroger)!

Publix has their brand BOGO $4.29.

Boop

Valued Contributor

My Kroger's has butter, Kroger's brand, for $1.99 a lb. bought four lb. will go back for more. This is in Northern Indiana.
Super Contributor

Those are good deals. My Kroger store here is Dillon's and yesterday I purchased their brand of butter on sale for $2.99/lb. That is better than what it was but still not cheap. Have I been sleeping under a rock...why is butter so expensive right now?

Honored Contributor

The stores mentioned are regional, so we don't have them where I live. But you never know what will be on the ad each week. We get a thing in the mail - well, actually it's two separate ones now - that has grocery ads in it. I don't drive all over the place to save a buck, for a myriad of reasons, but I just watch the two grocery ads around me and frequently I find stuff I buy on sale at one of them.

This will probably be ignored, but I'll ask anyway - is the general consensus that store brand butter is as good as other brands? I always buy certain brands and, even among those, I taste differences, so I was just wondering.

Honored Contributor

Two stores have their brand on sale. Limit 1 for $1.99 and limit 2 for $5.00.
Honored Contributor

Keyfood - LOL 2/5.00 limit 2 going this afternoon

Respected Contributor

Here in Chi-Town, what with steep competition, all store brands $1.99, Land o' Lakes 2/$5, no limits

Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 chickenbutt said:

The stores mentioned are regional, so we don't have them where I live. But you never know what will be on the ad each week. We get a thing in the mail - well, actually it's two separate ones now - that has grocery ads in it. I don't drive all over the place to save a buck, for a myriad of reasons, but I just watch the two grocery ads around me and frequently I find stuff I buy on sale at one of them.

This will probably be ignored, but I'll ask anyway - is the general consensus that store brand butter is as good as other brands? I always buy certain brands and, even among those, I taste differences, so I was just wondering.

Chickenbutt (your name always makes me giggle) I have found some store brands to be just as good, if not better, as some of the higher priced name brands. I used to be a fan of Land O'Lakes butter, but then I tried using the Kroger (store brand) butter and couldn't really tell any difference in taste or quality. The only butter I have to say I didn't like is the Walmart brand. It didn't seem to spread well on toast, etc. and for me the taste was bland. I don't eat lots of butter, mostly use it for cooking purposes so I can't really justify spending loads of money on the expensive brand names when my store brand tastes good to me and gets the job done.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your response, Jules. I'd probably avoid Walmart brand, just because I've found products of their brand to be inferior over all.

The grocery store where I shop most is a higher end store but, for butter, the only generic brand I've seen is Sunnyside Farms, which is in other stores too so I guess it's not just theirs. IIRC, I've purchased the brand and it was ok.