Valued Contributor

Turkey what kind are you buying? how to know what to pick?

Its almost TG

What kind are you buying? how to know what to pick?

For some reason my turkey is always not up to par..this year i decided to go with a brined trader joes turkey..

How does your turkey turn out? whats the secret to a good turkey!! My mom always used to say low and slow..what do you,all think??

TY so much for all your help, Brittany

Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey what kind are you buying? how to know what to pick?

I bought a frozen turkey breast, Ralph's Private Selection. I cook it in a covered roaster - always turns out fine. I don't have the time or inclination to do all the fancy stuff I hear people doing. Maybe I'm missing something.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I bought an organic free range turkey from Costco.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

House_cat, im very simple for TG i always say TG is not your time to play Julia child!!

Honored Contributor

I got an organic free range turkey from a local farmer at our food co-op.

EXCELLENT taste! They had samples yesterday.

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Britbrit13 said:

House_cat, im very simple for TG i always say TG is not your time to play Julia child!!

I agree! In my case, it has to be transportable. I cook it at my house and transport it to my mom and dad's apartment. Nothing fancy happening here, but it will be yummy.

Enjoy yours!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I always buy fresh. The difference, over frozen turkeys, is huge. One store I shop at mostly has a brand, from a ranch in California, they buy that is very good. It's a west coast chain, so it's not nationwide.

If you're looking for cheap, it's not that cheap I don't think. I ordered mine last week and I believe it was $2.69lb.

It always comes out very well, if I do say so myself. Smiley Happy I do a wet brine, overnight. Then I create a dry rub that goes on after it's rinsed and dried from the brining. Then it's pretty much a conventional roasting.

I don't do the stuffing thing because I think that's gross. But I do put a bunch of aromatic stuff inside like onion, lemon, thyme, sage, rosemary, and I forgot what else but, fortunately, I have it written down.

Honored Contributor

I bought a frozen butterball turkey at the grocery store. I put butter and spices under the skin. Cook it at 450 for the first half hour, then 350 for the rest of the time. It's uncovered at 450, then I put tin foil loosely over it until the last basting. It always turns out good. I'm not much of an experimental cook. This is how my mother cooked turkeys.
Respected Contributor

Due to work demands, I'm not able to do my TG weekly ritual & labor of love of brining & air-drying, etc. Someone on this forum recently suggested Trader Joe's brined turkeys. We just had a TJ open up close to me, so DH & I went last night & got a 20 lb brined bird. Chickenbutt, what is your dry rub you put on your turkey after you brined it? TIA!
Super Contributor

We're also getting a brined turkey from Trader Joe's.