Respected Contributor

Which slow cooker do you use???

I'm in the market for a slow cooker. I've read lots of reviews for all the major brands and their most popular models. The reviews are so mixed. My requirements are that they have high and low settings, a timer, and that it will automatically go from the cooking setting to a warming setting when the cook time is up. So which one do you use (please specify actual model, not just brand) and what do you feel are its pros and cons? Hoping to purchase today so a rec I can pick up at a big box store would be great!
Respected Contributor

Re: Which slow cooker do you use???

Absolutely get the cooker that switches to "warm" after a preset time. I got the CrockPot brand (which was recommended by Cooks Illustrated) and I'm very pleased with it (oval shape, as well.)

The best one is the CrockPot Programmable, which is totally programmable.

Good points: stainless steel, led readout, auto-warm feature, 6 1/2 quarts (family size)

Bad points: more expensive than basic models.

Next best (cheaper version) Hamilton Beach Touch n Go good points: stainless, 6 qt, has a temp probe for roasts, can do automatic or manual, auto-warm. It actually has more features.

Super Contributor

Costco has a great deal now on a 6 qt. CROCK POT if you have a store in your area.......it is stainless and has the features you want.......hope this helps.......l love cooking in slow cookers.....
Super Contributor

Rach, I use two consistently.

I have the Ninja 3n1 cooker if I need multi-functionality. But for strictly slow cooking the Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Programmable Slow Cooker is BY FAR the best out there. It's highly affordable, and in all my research (which I do a lot of before making a purchase...always), I haven't seen any other slow cooker with such consistently high reviews. Also a great plus about it, it has locking mechanisms for travel.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

i liked my crockpot brand-had to toss it since the insert got a crack in it. i am tempted to try a ninja because you can brown in it.

Honored Contributor

Someone once told me that the manual ones will come back on if there is a power interruption while the ones that are automatic don't. Anyone know if that is true?

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have both the dial kind and programmable ones. I don't know of programmable one that has a backup battery for power outages.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval