Respected Contributor

Do you put raw eggs in your cornbread dressing???

Just curious. I'm almost 60 years old and have yet to perfect my cornbread dressing. Horrors! I've tried this, that, and the other recipe. I was just now wondering about the purpose of the raw eggs...I see recipes with and without them. Wish I had my mother's recipe. It was so good. But she died 34 years ago when she was 58. I was 24....and I wasn't into recipes and such back then.

And, if you would like to share your momma's recipe with me, please feel free. Or, if you have any tips, I would love to have them.

Thanks for any help,

pup

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you put raw eggs in your cornbread dressing???

yes the egg is a binder of course it is into the oven to bake

Respected Contributor

I don't put raw eggs in mine. Just crumbled up biscuits, cornbread, onions, celery and chicken broth.

Esteemed Contributor

Eggs are a binder but will also add density to your dressing and help keep it moist.

Can't speak to cornbread as a Northern Girl but I had a friend who made a traditional Hungarian stuffing and it was very heavy with eggs.

Respected Contributor

No raw eggs....

I boil chicken breasts, save the broth, de-bone chicken

I crumble my cornbread, add BOILED chopped eggs, cooked celery, onions (optional-I don't like onions). Mix all this with de-boned chicken. Add sage, salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt.

Pour broth over all this, enough to cover & let soak in a little, bake @350° for 45min (gice r take on time).

That's how I make mine anyway,lol...

Frequent Contributor

I am 62 years old and I too am trying to replicate my mothers cornbread dressing recipe.... I remember watching her make dressing and yes she put in eggs... Also the cornbread is not made from a box either.... cornbread, white bread, biscuits, onions and celery sauteed, also a cut boiled egg, stock from the bird or can low sodium, poultry seasoning. Sage was something mama didnt care for so we didnt have it. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Trusted Contributor

On 11/22/2014 MimiLouise said:

I am 62 years old and I too am trying to replicate my mothers cornbread dressing recipe.... I remember watching her make dressing and yes she put in eggs... Also the cornbread is not made from a box either.... cornbread, white bread, biscuits, onions and celery sauteed, also a cut boiled egg, stock from the bird or can low sodium, poultry seasoning. Sage was something mama didnt care for so we didnt have it. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

My mother and grandmother's were made like yours but without the celery and lots of sage. This year, I have decided to attempt their method (making it by "look") rather than a specific recipe.

Frequent Contributor

So sorry you lost your mom at such a young age for both of you. My mom's cornbread was delicious on its own, cooked in a black iron skillet and had a crunchy crust. She made it a day or so early & left it out to get 'stale' before breaking it up & adding spices & drippings from the turkey roasting pan. I don't know what all she put in the dressing but there were no raw eggs. I have given up trying to make good dressing.
Honored Contributor

pup

I do put an egg or two. I blend them a bit first , then add to dressing. I love cornbread stuffing. Besides the usual, I add pecans, cashews or slivered almonds and dried cranberry (just a few). I have found the egg makes it moist, fluffy, yet it sticks together without being gooey. Corn bread dressing can be dry, if not moistened properly. I have made it without eggs many times, but I do like egg in it. Good luck.

I LOVE cornbread stuffing! I was born and raised in California, so corn bread stuffing is not as common. It seems it is a recipe someone's family brought with them when they moved to California, and spread. When I make corn bread stuffing I make traditional sage stuffing, The corn bread stuffing is the first to go. I make it with nuts, because I make it for me mainly. I have the other as a nut free option.

Honored Contributor

No, my family does not. We make a very large quantity of dressing and only bake half for our Thanksgiving meal. I would think eggs in the dressing would require it to be cooked immediately.