Trusted Contributor

Popcorn problems............

I am not, and never have been much of a popcorn eater, but I do generally keep some in the freezer, as I would not eat microwave popcorn........BUT.......someone made some micro popcorn at work the other day, and it smelled so good, that I keep thinking about it......{#emotions_dlg.crying} Well.....I have one of the old fashioned pop corn poppers like the whirley pop, and just made some, where I put some olive oil in the bottom, heated it, and added a bit of sugar and sea salt, and the popcorn, and "popped" it, and no "old maids" at the bottom, and I did add just a tad of melted butter, and I just ate the whole bowl..........{#emotions_dlg.scared} Now, it did not pop as regular popped corn, meaning the same amount......BUT COME TAKE MY BOWL AWAY........but it is empty, so you will gain nothing from it.......Wink

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Re: Popcorn problems............

???

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Maybe I should add..........Have you ever made popcorn this way......as this is a first for me, and never knew what I was missing...........{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Forrester, you go for the gold honey!!!! Now then, pull out a movie that makes you feel good....put on your most comfortable pans, and greet your favorite comforter or Afghan out.....make your newly discovered love, but without the sugar this time. Go ahead and pop those little kernels of goodness in your whirling popper (we have one too-they are the best) - of course, in olive oil.....now, top with garlic or onion powder and parmesan cheese-bliss!!!!...and if you want, a little dried oregano is bliss....I am not a "popcorn person" either, but very now and then, nothing else will do. Here in SW Florida our temps have been much cooler than usual, and it would be a great night for popcorn! Hugs, enjoy Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

don't put on pans your going to cook in.

Respected Contributor

I like putting herded parm cheese in it. There are also popcorn flavoring powders you can buy. I have a similar popcorn maker and use it since I try to stay low fat. The microwave stuff is handy for work.

Respected Contributor

Forest, are you possibly asking about something called "kettle corn"? It's sold at fairs, etc.... it is made with sugar and salt, but I never liked it because it's on the dry side, and I love sweetness and saltiness combined, but kettle corn doesn't work for me. That being said, taste is never wrong- what I think you should do is write down how much of any ingredients you used so that you can replicate that taste you fell in love with. Party on! Hugs, Poodlepet
Super Contributor

I love my Whirly Pop. Used to be a devotee of Jiffy Pop except it is expensive and when I realized it still has a fair amount of trans fat I can't justify it except a couple times a year. And honestly I can make an entire batch in the Whirly Pop in the time it takes to cook a smaller Jiffy Pop.

Someone gave me a shaker of dill-pickle flavored salt and it does add a certain something to the popcorn. Mostly I just use the Jolly Time butter-flavored seasoning or Morton's fine-ground salt and some melted Land O'Lakes butter.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Cinder63 said:

I love my Whirly Pop. Used to be a devotee of Jiffy Pop except it is expensive and when I realized it still has a fair amount of trans fat I can't justify it except a couple times a year. And honestly I can make an entire batch in the Whirly Pop in the time it takes to cook a smaller Jiffy Pop.

Someone gave me a shaker of dill-pickle flavored salt and it does add a certain something to the popcorn. Mostly I just use the Jolly Time butter-flavored seasoning or Morton's fine-ground salt and some melted Land O'Lakes butter.

What brand.....where do you buy it..........PLEASE......Tell me more.....

Super Contributor

Hate popcorn!