Valued Contributor

Hard boiled eggs - how long can you keep them?

I want to boil some eggs for deviled eggs for Thursday. How far ahead can I do this? I see hard boiled eggs for sale in the grocery store and wonder how long they keep fresh.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hard boiled eggs - how long can you keep them?

Already cooked? I wouldn't touch them with the length of a fishing pole. Do fresh - only takes 15 mins in a semi-high boil. Even cooking them fresh I don't keep them longer than 3 days - tops!

Are you sure those at the store aren't 'pickled'? (as in cloudy liquid in a jar in the meat department - that's the only way I've ever seen them)

Ready boiled eggs gives me the shivers....just saying

Honored Contributor

I can keep them a day or two tops... I eat them like candy so they don't last.

Honored Contributor

I keep hard boiled boiled eggs in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to a week without a problem.
Esteemed Contributor

they have hard boiled eggs at my store....they usually have a last day for sale on them...well I got lazy and bought a package of them...(no, they were definitely not pickled)...but they were way hard...like too long in the water...and the taste was awful..they wound up in the garbage...

ditto that 3 day then toss them...make them Wednesday....they cook up fast...I bought one of those egg cookers they have been selling on the q...so easy...it does all the work for you and they are good...think about getting one before your next event...about twenty bucks...

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone! I have never bought hardboiled eggs - they scare me! I think I could safely boil some eggs on Tuesday and 'devil' them on Wednesday. I do have an egg cooker and love it.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, my goodness. I hard-boil eggs and keep them in the refrigerator for a week or two with no problems whatsoever. I've never bought eggs pre-boiled and wouldn't. I like to keep boiled eggs on hand for a quick breakfast or to use in tuna or chicken salad, egg salad, potato salad, deviled eggs, etc. Eggs keep very well.

Valued Contributor

You should Google it. I just did and the consensus is a week or more. Very surprising to me. I would have thought only a few days too.

Valued Contributor

The trouble is you never really know how old the 'fresh' eggs are when you buy them in the store. I know they have a date on the carton but how reliable can that be?

Honored Contributor

I always use old eggs to hard boil. They peel easier. By old, I mean soon after the date on the carton.

I fix eggs to take to work for breakfast every day. I fix them on Sunday, put in single serve containers for 5 mornings. Sometimes I hard boil them though i prefer a hard or scrambled.