Trusted Contributor

So, You do not like turkey......What do you cook?????????

Thanksgiving is just a day off from work, and a chance to get my dad over to eat a meal.....Neither of us care for turkey, and surely we are not the only ones........So...What do you non turkey lovers cooks???????? We do not care for the traditionals either, as never grew up with turkey on Thanksgiving, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, green bean casserole, or mashed potatoes, or mac and cheese......Wink My Southern roots family made dressing, but dad and I both hate celery, so we never eat it, and yes.......can make without celery, but we are not big cornbread eaters either, and my grandfather ground cornmeal for many grocery stores, on the original grinding stones that were the founding stones of this county............Cool I cherish more of my Wolfclan Cherokee roots, than my true Southern roots, as my Smith family was Welsh........{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Re: So, You do not like turkey......What do you cook?????????

Forget the turkey & traditional trimmings! We like Mexican food, so have burritos smothered in homemade green chile, homemade guacamole dip & tortilla chips. Yum!

Regular Contributor

We don't care for turkey either. We do two deep fried whole chickens or a ham. I do make my dressing and giblet gravy. That is a must have all during the year, not just holidays. Sweet potatoe casserole ( hubby would be sad without that), steamed green beans with garlic and who know what else.

I have Southen roots as well. Cherokee Indian with some Irish thrown in. LOL

Trusted Contributor

I could go for that, but dad never really had Mexican foods, and is so easy to say, I am not sure about that, and just does not want to try them.......Same with Italian..........{#emotions_dlg.crying} It is hard to introduce foods to a man that in 70 something years has never tried them.....Wink

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

The important part is being with your dad. Why not fix him his favorites? Ham? Chicken? Beef? Hot dogs? Burgers? Make a meal that will make you and your dad the happiest on Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to suggest lasagna until I read the third post. How about some steaks, baked potatoes, green salad and a yummy dessert? I bought one of those dump cake books and am going to try one of the recipes after Thanksgiving. HAVE to have my pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. LOL.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Ham is popular among many of my friends, and others love prime rib. I am a turkey lover, so it's turkey for me every year. But I know a lot of people who do not like poultry for many reasons (one got sick on it on a submarine, ok, you have a pass for life!)

Honored Contributor

My entire family loves turkey, so we have never eaten anything besides the traditional meal on Thanksgiving. Working in the hospital on holidays meant a free meal, and for Thanksgiving and Christmas we could choose turkey, ham, or the 3 piece fried chicken dinner. I'm sure you will come up with something you and your Dad will enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving,
Honored Contributor

We cook chicken.

Honored Contributor

Whaaaaaat??? hehe

Hey, I'd just make whatever you both like. Seems easy. Smiley Happy