Contributor
I'm thinking of using a boxed stuffing mix this year just to save some time. I have always made my own so I'm not sure how to add to the box mix to make it more special. Any thoughts on what I can add to make it more of a home made taste? Thanks in advance.
Trusted Contributor
Sauté a little sage sausage, chopped onion and celery and a cubed apple. Add to the stovetop. I sometimes throw in some toasted pecans or almonds too. Delicious!
Trusted Contributor

Check this link for more info on doctoring up packaged stuffing mix:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/kitchen-and-food-talk/topic/479943/viewlast/stove-top.aspx#lastreply

There are a ton of good tips in that thread.

Super Contributor

What I do is saute some onion, carrott and celery and add to the mix. I have also added sausage at different times. I am the only one who eats it.

Super Contributor

I've always used the StoveTop mix as a "base" for my Thanksgiving dressing and everyone always thinks it's made from scratch.

I sautee a generous amount of minced onion and celery in a LOT of butter. While I'm not a huge fan of butter, in this one dish it really makes all the difference in the taste and texture.

I dump the StoveTop in a huge mixing bowl and add my crumbled corn bread I've been collecting and freezing the last couple of weeks, some Pepperidge Farm HERBAL stuffing mix, and a huge handful of crushed Ritz or Saltine crackers. Then I sprinkle onion powder, celery seed, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning over the dry ingredients.

In another small saucepan, heat chicken broth.

Add your warmed chicken broth and the butter and sauteed veggies to the dry mix. Mix well, adding more chicken broth until you get it to the right texture.

Then spread into a greased 9x13" pan, cover with foil and put in fridge until you are ready to bake. I generally bake mine at 350 for at least 30 minutes or until golden on top. My mother always added small dollops of butter on top of the dressing before baking, which I resist doing but it sure made it good!

BTW, this is a traditional southern style dressing.

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to do the same thing and for the same reasons. I got some very good tips in my Stove Top thread below.

The best advice I can offer: do a test run! I made a bagged stuffing and it was so salty. I'm going to make my stuffing from scratch and save time some other way.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I also sautee celery and onions, cool mix with box stuffing and then add and an egg or 2. Mix well and add broth.

Personally I think stuffing is gross, but my husband loves it.

*ETA* I usually use butter.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 debc said:

I also sautee celery and onions, cool mix with box stuffing and then add and an egg or 2. Mix well and add broth.

Personally I think stuffing is gross, but my husband loves it.

*ETA* I usually use butter.

Oh, I've seen some pretty gross stuffing/dressing in my day! So, yeah, it really CAN be gross.

Because of the 'wet bread' thing that I see in many of them I was compelled to make my seasoned sourdough croutons, that I mentioned in another thread or two, and it holds up well plus the flavor is layered with toasting the croutons in olive oil and a few herbs plus s&p.

Additionally, aside from the celery, onions, herbs, stock, croutons, etc, I also make up some wild rice and mix that with a combination of Jimmy Dean hot sausage and Jimmy Dean sage sausage, and then add that to the mix. I don't like hot stuff but the mixture (1 to 1) of the hot and sage sausages makes awesome flavor. I also put some herbs into the celery and onions as they saute. I like flavor, so none of the components go in bland.

Respected Contributor

i like to use the seasoned bread cubes-pettridge farms, brownberry, etc., that come in plastic bags, rather than the boxed. the boxed cubes are too crumbled and tiny, for thanksgiving dinner, but great for other times. butter, broth, celery and onions are my additions. years ago, i had a great stuffing with cranberries, apple and apricots with a pork roast. we love stuffing!

Honored Contributor

I am well known for my stuffing (OK, I'm bragging) and I don't eat the stuff. I used the Herb stuffing box and add a bunch of stuff.

I put in oinions, and stuff but the main ingredients I put in are poultry seasoning, celery seed (and fresh celery), Italian seasoning and sage.

I also put in eggs. Then I put it in the turkey (but sometimes I don't) and I bake it. Then when it comes out I pour juice (the juice NOT GRAVEY) from the turkey dripping. Then put in oven til the top is crispy.

Everyone loves my stuffing. It's quick (throw it together) and smells good. I swear I've never even tasted it but the smell is amazing!