Trusted Contributor

Great Harvest Stuffing Bread

Has anyone had this? My husband came home yesterday and said someone at work was talking about it. Apparently, Great Harvest makes a bread that tastes like stuffing? I tried to find a copycat recipe, but the only thing I saw was someone said make wheat bread and add celery, onion, and sage. Anyone have a recipe? I would like to try it sometime. TIA.

Respected Contributor

Re: Great Harvest Stuffing Bread

No, I haven't, but someone from this site (I forget who) {#emotions_dlg.blushing} recommended this recipe from King Arthur Flour website. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to!

Stuffing Bread from King Arthur Flour

This moist loaf tastes like stuffing; use it as the base for your Thanksgiving turkey's dressing, or to make wonderful turkey sandwiches the next day.

3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup potato flour OR 1/2 cup potato flakes
2 tablespoons Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 cup midget sunflower seeds
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons Bell's Seasoning OR 2 teaspoons ground sage
1 tablespoon King Arthur Whole-Grain Bread Improver
1 1/4 cups water

Manual Method: Combine all of the ingredients and mix and knead till cohesive and smooth. Allow the dough to rise in a covered bowl for 1 hour.

Bread Machine Method: Put all of the ingredients into the bucket of your bread machine. Program for dough or manual, and press Start. Check the dough after about 15 minutes; it should be smooth-looking. If not, adjust the consistency with additional flour or water. Allow the machine to complete its cycle.

Shape the dough into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Set the loaf aside to rise, covered, for about 45 minutes, or until it's crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan.

Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes, or until it's golden brown and the interior of the loaf registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a wire rack. Yield: one loaf.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Honestly, I prefer making my own with a nice fresh round of SF style sourdough bread. It takes only minutes to prepare and about 12 minutes in the oven to toast.

I cut it into small squares and then take a gallon-size Ziploc baggie - put some olive oil and herbs in that. Pour the bread cubes in, zip it up with all the air in it, so it's puffy and round. Then just shake it between your hands until everything is distributed (just takes like a minute), and spread it out on a baking sheet.

I usually leave the s&p out of the bag and hit it with s&p on the baking sheet because it seems like pepper will gather in lumps in a bag and salt will just fall to the bottom.

Toast in the oven, let it cool completely, and then do the rest of the recipe. Super easy and you make it the way you want it, plus it hasn't been sitting in a bag for weeks or months. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions.

chickenbutt, I'm not looking for a stuffing recipe, but a recipe for bread that tastes like stuffing. It is supposed to be great for turkey sandwiches, which is what my DH is interested in. From what I understand it is a whole wheat bread (no seeds, denisemb) that is flavored with celery, onion, and sage...possibly other things.

I called my local Great Harvest this afternoon, and they are making it Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday next week. It is seasonal, so I don't know how long they will make it after next week and the gal I talked to didn't know either. I am not cooking a turkey next week, so was hoping to find a recipe so I could make it next time I cook a turkey tenderloin. However, I may go ahead and buy a loaf next week to "test drive" it Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Vamp, I don't mean to hijack, but I have to respond.

Chickenb, I won't have time to do my regular dressing and the bagged stuff is downright nasty. I like your recipe as it's not time consuming.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Vamp - Sorry about that. I think I had another stuffing thread in my head and responded to the wrong question here. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} That sounds like an interesting product. I hope you find the perfect recipe! Smiley Happy

HonnyBrown - It really is a wonderful base for the dressing. I came up with the idea myself (not that it's genius or anything, but I thought it would end up being good and it did) a few years ago.

I don't like old bread or wet bread and, while I do like cornbread, I'm not one for cornbread in the dressing because that becomes too mushy for me unless it's toasted. I suppose that might be good.

It's just really easy to make the bread cubes like this and toast them in the oven. It holds up well and isn't stale or bland-tasting. I put flavor in all my layers when I cook (yeah, I DO think too much - ha).

Respected Contributor

Vamp - GMTA! I was thinking of ditching the seeds and adding celery and onion flakes instead. Let us know how the Great Harvest Bread tastes. I can just imagine what a good turkey sandwich it would make!

Denise
Valued Contributor

That bread makes incredible turkey sandwiches. It is not meant to be used in making the stuffing. I reccomend it highly.

Esteemed Contributor

Vamp - thank you for introducing this bread! I'm going to pick it up from the bakery next week.

Chickenb, I am so glad I saw your recipe!! I'm too frazzled to be innovative.

The last time I hosted Thanksgiving, I made cornbread from scratch and made the dressing from that. It was delicious, but time consuming.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

HonnyBrown, check with your local Great Harvest to see when they are making it. I can't promise they will make it the same days ours does, although you would think they'd have it at all the stores Thanksgiving week.

No worries, Chickenbutt--your stuffing recipe sounds great, and I'm always looking for good recipes!

Berylekj--thanks for the recommendation. It does sound good!

Denisemb--I may modify your recipe after I taste the Great Harvest. I would love to figure out how to make it myself