Honored Contributor

Frozen Mashed Potatoes- Any experience pro or con?

Please post if you do. In the past I've hated the huge mess with mashed potatoes- this year I'd like to try something new. I need to prepare for 12-14 potato lovers......
Super Contributor

Re: Frozen Mashed Potatoes- Any experience pro or con?

Are you asking about making your own and freezing them or buying already made frozen mashed potatoes at the grocery store?
Super Contributor

my very 'good cook' family turned me onto Country Crock mashed potatoes,,,in the deli dept. in a brownish crock container. I hope this is the name,,,,Jimmy Dean maybe???? you'll know it when you see it. and it's deliciousd

Honored Contributor

Open to anythng I don't have to peel!
Trusted Contributor

While visiting our DD last month, our son in law had smoked a pork roast and made some wonderful mashed potatoes and gravy. The potatoes were from Ore_Ida and are called Steam n' Mash from the freezer section. They are chunks of russet potatoes and you steam them in the microwave then mash them like you would your mashed potatoes. We just had to pick some up when we got home. 7 servings to the bag according to the bag. I guess that would depend on how big of serving are taken.

HTH

JPC

Trusted Contributor

I've used the Steam 'n Mash and like them very much. It does take something like 12 minutes to microwave a whole bag, though, so you have to plan accordingly. Could probably do earlier and keep warm in the oven.
Honored Contributor

I have used them and they are fine. Taste is no different than regular at home. I cannot peel potatoes, so if I'm going to have them, I have to buy the frozen mashed or get baking potatoes to put in the oven.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I was shocked when going to dinner at my daughter-in-law's once and tasting her most excellent mashed potatoes only to find they were frozen! I don't know why, but I never would've imagined they would taste as good as 'real' mashed potatoes. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

I am SO encouraged!! Thanks to all!
Trusted Contributor

I should try these.